British Comedy Guide

Greetings and Salutations (and some questions)

I am officially throwing in my lurkerdom and am leaping (well, tentatively tip-toeing) into the fray with a couple of questions about submitting work.

As many prod companies ask for the first 10 pages of a script is it best to send in the beginning of the pilot script, or a later episode?

The pilot sets the series up and explains who every one is but can get bogged down in exposition, and often in sitcom the show doesn't really hit it's stride until a couple of eps in.

So, pilot, or non pilot? Or should I just think balls to it and send in what I think it my strongest example, reguardless of when in the series it appears?

My other question is to do with casting. I act as well as write and have (maybe deludedly I admit) have already (secretly) cast myself in a role of my script. Is is the kind of thing one should mention in a cover letter or treatment? I'm not sure it's a good idea myself, but when would be a good time to mention it, if any?

Thanks in advance for any replies and I hope the Heathers reference softens the blow if it turns out these questions have been asked before!

Hello My Little Pony and welcome.

I'm no expert - still trying myself. I would think send the first 10 of a strong episode but has to be the first 10 and not just any 10.

Also regarding the casting I wouldn't mention it yet - until it gets picked up - unless you're someone really famous!

Greetings!

I was always adivsed do episode 3; shows you can maintain the story over multiple episodes, also you don't get tied up intro stuff.

Quote: Cherries Jubilee @ October 19 2008, 6:36 PM BST

As many prod companies ask for the first 10 pages of a script is it best to send in the beginning of the pilot script, or a later episode?

Always do the pilot. Show the prod co who's who in the story and that you've got strong characters. The reader is meeting these characters for the first time, so give them a strong introduction that explains who's who and why they are where they are.

The script you write will change massively if it got commissioned, so if you write ep 3 it'll look like you've planned out the whole series therefore showing no flexibility.

The pilot has to show possibility of a million different directions, this will get the prods interested - episode 3 will be set in it's way, and they won't like that.

The pilot sets the series up and explains who every one is but can get bogged down in exposition, and often in sitcom the show doesn't really hit it's stride until a couple of eps in.

So, pilot, or non pilot? Or should I just think balls to it and send in what I think it my strongest example, reguardless of when in the series it appears?

That's true, but you have to have a first episode at some point. So get it out the way. The producer will want to make changes anyway, so the good thing about the pilot is anything can get changed - you have to show flexibility and that the seed of the idea can grow into anything.

My other question is to do with casting. I act as well as write and have (maybe deludedly I admit) have already (secretly) cast myself in a role of my script. Is is the kind of thing one should mention in a cover letter or treatment? I'm not sure it's a good idea myself, but when would be a good time to mention it, if any?

No, I wouldn't. You need a performing background really. Forget that for the time being, or take up performing on the stage first.

I wouldn't send the pilot - at least, I wouldn't send 10 minutes that looks like it's a pilot (with lots of character and situation setup, etc.). What you send should be representative of the rest of the series as you envisage it. Ideally, of course, a good pilot episode would get across the characters and the world without looking like that's what it's doing...

So anyway, I'd send the funniest 10 minutes you've got - after all, first base is making your work stand out from the crowd. If that's 10 mins of your pilot, all well and good, but if it's episode 342, nuts to it - send it anyway. Impress them first. Worry about the details later.

As for casting yourself, it's amazing the number of times my writing partner and I are asked in meetings whether we perform (the answer is always a heartfelt and mildly-horrified "f**k off, do we look mental?!"). But I'm never quite sure why the question is asked. I wonder whether the producer:

a) thinks it would benefit the project to have writer-performers on board who know exactly how to play the part(s) they've written, or

b) has been bracing his/herself for the horrendous ball-shrivelling moment when we say "oh, by the way, see those two main roles that require subtlety and gravitas - they'd be played by us two muppets".

So depending upon how good/well-known/confident a performer you are, pitching yourself as an actor in your sitcom may be setting yourself up for a), b) or some awkward, ill-defined wilderness in-between. Good luck!

Definitely the pilot, it's easier if they see the basis of your show first and get to know everyone rather than reading episode 3 or whichever one and not knowing why things happened the way they did. As far as the casting goes go with what Seefacts said and if you've created a character you think you could play there's nothing wrong with that, some writers write roles with actors in mind, I've done it before.

I saw some interesting advice on getting a novel published the other day. Write the second chapter first, then go back and write the first chapter once you have hit your stride.

So applying the same principle, for the best chance of success, send in the pilot, but only write the pilot once you have written a couple of later episodes first and have a handle on the characters voices and how they inter-act.

Thanks muchly for all your welcomes (Good call on the My Little Pony thing!) and replies!

I think I will send in my pilot. It's the episode I've worked the most on (about three years in fact, I am a pathological procrasinater!)

I don't think it's too 'piloty' in that I've dropped in certain important details about the character's and the set up but I've also left much of it up in the air to reveal later (or to look at it another way, so things could be changed if any production company were to be interested).

I've also already had positive feedback on the pilot from some script reading services (not production company related) and some author friends of mine so I'm already quite confident in it. Although I've now reached the point that I've worked at it so much and re-read it so many times that I have snow-blindness on it now, so I think I'll put it to one side for a couple of days and come back to it with fresh eyes, and then decide!

As for the casting issue, I think I'll leave that until I get a bit further down the line with the script. I was jumping ahead of myself by wondering about it at this early stage I suppose! I do have acting experience and a degree in Performing Arts but I feel it would be as useful in this situation as it is in the rest of the world (i.e. not bloody much)

Quote: Cherries Jubilee @ October 21 2008, 6:19 PM BST

Thanks muchly for all your welcomes (Good call on the My Little Pony thing!) and replies!

I think I will send in my pilot. It's the episode I've worked the most on (about three years in fact, I am a pathological procrasinater!)

I don't think it's too 'piloty' in that I've dropped in certain important details about the character's and the set up but I've also left much of it up in the air to reveal later (or to look at it another way, so things could be changed if any production company were to be interested).

I've also already had positive feedback on the pilot from some script reading services (not production company related) and some author friends of mine so I'm already quite confident in it. Although I've now reached the point that I've worked at it so much and re-read it so many times that I have snow-blindness on it now, so I think I'll put it to one side for a couple of days and come back to it with fresh eyes, and then decide!

As for the casting issue, I think I'll leave that until I get a bit further down the line with the script. I was jumping ahead of myself by wondering about it at this early stage I suppose! I do have acting experience and a degree in Performing Arts but I feel it would be as useful in this situation as it is in the rest of the world (i.e. not bloody much)

Are you not some what gutted that something you've poured three years into has to be left at home whilst you post 10 pages only!

:(

And if that don't grab them, then thats it (with them) and onto the next. When in actual fact if the read a full episode it maybe a different story.

Dunno, 10 pages don't seem so many!

:|

Quote: random @ October 21 2008, 6:45 PM BST

Are you not some what gutted that something you've poured three years into has to be left at home whilst you post 10 pages only!

:(

And if that don't grab them, then thats it (with them) and onto the next. When in actual fact if the read a full episode it maybe a different story.

Dunno, 10 pages don't seem so many!

:|

I have been working on it for a few years but it's not the only thing I've been doing. This particular script is quite personal and a favourite of mine so I really want to keep plugging at it!

I agree that 10 pages doesn't sound very much and it isn't necessarily that reflective on the episode as a whole or indeed an entire series. However I totally understand why companies do it this way as having to read endless full scripts would result in many script-reader related incidents of anger being taken out on traffic wardens and bus conductors methinks!

Quote: Cherries Jubilee @ October 21 2008, 7:25 PM BST

I have been working on it for a few years but it's not the only thing I've been doing. This particular script is quite personal and a favourite of mine so I really want to keep plugging at it!

I agree that 10 pages doesn't sound very much and it isn't necessarily that reflective on the episode as a whole or indeed an entire series. However I totally understand why companies do it this way as having to read endless full scripts would result in many script-reader related incidents of anger being taken out on traffic wardens and bus conductors methinks!

:)

Yeah understand the reasons why, its just that it seems unfair in a way.

Good luck with it!

You can tell if it's funny or not within about 3 pages.

For an example of a perfect pilot that sets up the characters and their relationships with almost zero visible exposition and while maintaining the comedy, study the Frasier pilot.

Pilots can and must set up those elements without exposition or lengthy character reveals. The show should hit the ground running. For example, Niles wiping the cafe seat before sitting tells you immediately what he's about in one simple gesture.

If the writer can spot long intro sections then any reader will definitely highlight them. Passing them off as necessary to the character setups won't work, the writer needs to rewrite to camoflague or remove visible exposition.

Quote: SlagA @ October 27 2008, 12:03 PM BST

For an example of a perfect pilot that sets up the characters and their relationships with almost zero visible exposition and while maintaining the comedy, study the Frasier pilot.

Pilots can and must set up those elements without exposition or lengthy character reveals. The show should hit the ground running. For example, Niles wiping the cafe seat before sitting tells you immediately what he's about in one simple gesture.

If the writer can spot long intro sections then any reader will definitely highlight them. Passing them off as necessary to the character setups won't work, the writer needs to rewrite to camoflague or remove visible exposition.

ee speaks the tooth!

Cherries Jubilee?

Don't you have to ignite the brandy before serving? :)