British Comedy Guide

Script Night Page 3

Dan, this is really good news, if that was me I'd see it as a huge call for a celebration, with bunting and everything. Actually, bunting would reduce the whole occasion to the feel of a shabby second hand car dealership but celebrate anyway!

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ October 20 2008, 2:16 PM BST

Congrats!
Next up it's Script Night: Renaissance, which will be performed in early March 2009 and for which the deadline is 30th November. Can't find any info tho'!

Hi all!

The official call for submissions was put out on Arts Jobs yesterday! It should be on BBC Writers Room by the end of the week.

See the below info and following links:

http://www.artsjobs.org.uk/index.php?id=25&ne_post_id=11551

Script Night: Renaissance - New Writing Opportunity

Cento Productions in partnership with Script Yorkshire and The Carriageworks are looking for new writers and new writing to contribute to the fifth in their successful series of seasonal mini-festivals of new writing for theatre.

Please read and adhere to the following criteria carefully as failure to do so will mean that your piece may not be considered.

We will consider submissions:

* Any style/genre
* For 1- 5 actors
* Of 5 to 10 minutes performance time
* Based on the theme of ‘Renaissance' – think laterally/interpret theme widely
* With one simple, single setting
* Minimal furniture
* Only absolutely necessary props
* Comedy or drama
* Multiple submissions

Pieces will be selected for originality and impact in interpreting the theme, as well as accomplishment in terms of narrative, structure, characterisation and use of sound/music, and for their ‘playablility' on a practical level.

Pieces must be written using a recognised industry format, e.g. ScriptSmart, which is available to download free at the BBC Writers Room website. Screenplays, TV Scripts and previously performed submissions will not be considered, so please do not send them.

Submissions will be shortlisted in early December, with a view to further development with selected writers, cast and the Creative Team in preparation for a fully staged, script-in-hand performance at The Carriageworks, Leeds, on Friday 6th or Saturday 7th March 2009. Pending the result of our application to ACE, we are planning an extended development period with development days for cast and writers as part of the rehearsal process.

The deadline for submissions is 30th November 2008. Please send to: renaissance@cento.org.uk Please include a brief synopsis, running time and full contact details including name, address and telephone number on your email - not on a separate attachment.

*** Based on the theme of ‘Renaissance’. Writers are encouraged to interpret the theme as widely as possible - whether it’s the European Renaissance; Art, Architecture or the Age of Science & Discovery that provides you with a suitable stimulus, or to think laterally – modern Renaissance Man, birth/rebirth, Spring (on Jupiter or Mars!), the Ides of March, Mad March hares, Easter bonnets/parades, pagan/religious ritual & celebration, etc

Eric Egan
Technical Director
Cento Productions

Apparently, according to my l'il sis, my script was well-received on the night, well-acted and well-produced/directed with a few artistic changes.

As a script-in-hand reading it came across well and got some good feedback in the audience/participants discussion after the show had finished.

All-in-all I'm gutted I couldn't have been there to see it! I have something I can send in to the next one, so (fingers crossed) maybe I'll get to see that, if it's any way good enough!

Dan

Excellent news, Dan. Well done.

Cheers Martin.

Just got your book, btw. I laughed a lot, and Macbeth finally makes sense. My teacher girlfriend thinks it's good but could only show it to the kids if you used 'da bitch' much less ;)

Dan

Quote: swerytd @ November 12 2008, 2:39 PM GMT

Cheers Martin.

Just got your book, btw. I laughed a lot, and Macbeth finally makes sense. My teacher girlfriend thinks it's good but could only show it to the kids if you used 'da bitch' much less ;)

Dan

Thanks for that Dan and I guess teachers do have issues with it. But even though some have wished me smited, for all their concerns, the really nice outcome is that besides the book being stocked into places like the National Theatre and the Shakespeare Birthplace Trust, it's actually got kids into Shakespeare which is excellent.

But now with the second manuscript is with my agent, this time I've been a bit more mindful and less liberal with words like 'bitch'. I guess only time will tell if this has been a good or a bad move on my part.

Anyway, again, brilliant news about you and what a shame you're not even going to be in Turkey. By the way, have you seen Midnight Express?

No, but I'm back now so hopefully they won't extradite me :)

Dan

Well, whoever travels up can show solidarity with a handcuff geusture for the BSG 1.

Note to Aaron, can we have a handcuff or a yellow ribbon icon please?

The Script Night was indeed a success! See below link to my "Yet Another Sucess" blog posting and added Comment from Jeremy Fielding, one of our other writers who's piece was performed at the Script Night Harvest Festival Show!

Link: http://www.britishtheatre.com/profiles/blogs/script-night-yet-another

We've now also setup a Facebook Group whilst our website is "Under Construction" see the following link:

http://www.facebook.com/groups.php?ref=sb#/group.php?gid=91039060211

Eric Egan
Technical Director
Cento Productions

Quote: Rob0 @ October 14 2008, 9:27 PM BST

Well done, sir!

Real shame you're away, hope someone manages to record it for you.
Shows how subject to opinion and circumstance this sort of thing is. And the value of persistence. Though of course your writing talent does increase your chances, I'd imagine.

Anyway, good to see it didn't go to waste

The Show was in fact filmed, as always. One or two plays didn't make the filming due to a battery issue at the time but pretty much everything was filmed and over 300 pictures were taken.

Once things settle a little, I'll be putting together DVDs for specific individuals which will include photos etc. There's a lot of digital film to go through and the process sometimes can take ages but hopefully for Christmas... Of course, Dan will get one of the first.

Eric Egan
Technical Director
Cento Productions

Woohoo, excellent! Thanks Eric (& Jo!). Will look forward to it.

Dan

Quote: swerytd @ October 14 2008, 8:49 AM BST

Well, I got an email last night informing me that my submission, Departures, has made the final cut and is due to be performed at Cento Productions 'Script Night' (theatre showcase thing-y)!

A very belated well done.
Just about to get something off to the 'Renaissance: Script Night" myself
Is your winning entry available to read anywhere - just out of interest?

Thanks Lazzard.

It's not online, but I can send it to you. PM me your email address, if you're interested.

Dan

Have you, or anyone else, heard back from this lot yet?
The silence is deafening.

Not yet.

Dan