British Comedy Guide

Status report Page 6,194

As usual I walked down to the Coop this morning to get my wife's newspaper and on the way found this black plastic shopping basket, which I recognised as one of the Coop's

So, took it with me and as I gave it to the assistant, she said, with an everyday throw away comment "Oh yes, that's from one of our shoplifters" Fill it up with shopping and simply walk out.

Excuse me?!

OK, don't tackle this scum, but they must have CCTV of who it was - so report it and get the law to throw the book at them!! Otherwise, it will only get worse.

Dear oh dear.........................I despair.😒

And by the way, she said they cost £35 to replace. Bloody Hell, I'm in the wrong business.

Well don't worry. With this government trying to reduce sentences you might as well join the club.

Quote: Chappers @ 27th July 2024, 1:35 PM

Well don't worry. With this government trying to reduce sentences you might as well join the club.

I wouldn't if I were you..
Labour are planning to reverse the "Shoplifter's Charter - aTory policy that meant that shoplifting of goods under £200 was not investigated.

Quote: Lazzard @ 27th July 2024, 1:51 PM

I wouldn't if I were you..
Labour are planning to reverse the "Shoplifter's Charter - aTory policy that meant that shoplifting of goods under £200 was not investigated.

But they're trying to reduce prison sentences.

Maybe it's the new 'smacked pandy's policy.

I was sat in my garden today and there was a sparrow hopping around on the lawn

And BANG! a fkn kestrel swooped down out of nowhere and took the sparrow

Gone!

As you know Lofthouse, copy-n-paste is a great thing but I only found out today that the Windows key +V pulls up your history of copy-n-paste to use again.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 30th July 2024, 8:58 AM

As you know ***thouse, copy-n-paste is a great thing but I only found out today that the Windows key +V pulls up your history of copy-n-paste to use again.

😁 I like it!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAA

HAHAHAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAHAHAHAAAAAHAHAHAAAA

HAHAHA

HAHA

HE...

HAHAHAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAHAHAHAAAAAHAHAHAAAA

HAHAHAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAHAHAHAAAAAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAA

HAHAHAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAHAHAHAAAAAHAHAHA

HAHAHAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAHAHAHAAAAA

HAHA

So witty

I'm always intrigued when I hear about auctions for famous peoples effects but I never know how to find them. I'd also like to just go to one like those that would take place in Lovejoy for everyday things.

I try to Google them but I get caught up in lots of irrelevant ones such as Property. Does anyone know of any that occur in the South of England, specifically Surrey, Sussex or Kent?

Quote: Chappers @ 31st July 2024, 9:54 AM

I'm always intrigued when I hear about auctions for famous peoples effects but I never know how to find them. I'd also like to just go to one like those that would take place in Lovejoy for everyday things.

I try to Google them but I get caught up in lots of irrelevant ones such as Property. Does anyone know of any that occur in the South of England, specifically Surrey, Sussex or Kent?

Most of those in Lovejoy were set in East Anglia, especially Suffolk and I've been to many over the years - there must be similar in your area! I watch a lot of Bargain Hunt and Flog It!, which feature numerous local auction houses. I don't think you can be looking hard enough!

https://www.surreyauctions.co.uk https://kentauctiongalleriesltd.co.uk https://app.bellmans.co.uk/en/

Bellmans in Sussex features quite a bit on TV progs., but the above sites are merely a smattering of what is out there in your area!

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 31st July 2024, 10:21 AM

Most of those in Lovejoy were set in East Anglia, especially Suffolk and I've been to many over the years - there must be similar in your area! I watch a lot of Bargain Hunt and Flog It!, which feature numerous local auction houses. I don't think you can be looking hard enough!

https://www.surreyauctions.co.uk https://kentauctiongalleriesltd.co.uk https://app.bellmans.co.uk/en/

Bellmans in Sussex features quite a bit on TV progs., but the above sites are merely a smattering of what is out there in your area!

Thanks Herc. I tried but couldn't come up with anything useful. Do you ever go?

Not now, as eBay has taken over in my life, but in the 60s, 70s and 80s probably went to an auction once a month - they're great fun, and you soon learn NOT to get bidding fever!

Essential you go on viewing days, get a list, REGISTER (otherwise you can't bid without a "paddle" or whatever it is they used), set a price after checking what previous items went for (even on eBay) AND STICK TO IT!!! But you'll learn.

I went to a toy auction once (huge one at Bury St Edmunds, and they have so much stuff, they have two auctions running at the same time - one for tin-plate model toy cars and one for model railways, and I thought I had enough time to go to the loo before the next item I wanted came up, BUT when I came back into the auction I thought they were on my item, so slammed a bid in and won the item, only to find it was the lot before the one I wanted.

But I hope to get back to going again, as they are a great social event, and you certainly see life!

There was one I went to at BStE, when two old boys got into an argument over something (I think one was spouting his knowledge while the auction was going on and the other one told him to shut up) so the other old boy told him to come outside, which he did, but it was all handbags at dawn stuff - funny though to watch them sizing each other up.

Quote: Chappers @ 31st July 2024, 9:54 AM

www.antiques-atlas.com/listings/surrey/?type=ah

www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=Auction+Houses&find_loc=Surrey&start=0

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 31st July 2024, 7:18 PM

www.antiques-atlas.com/listings/surrey/?type=ah

www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=Auction+Houses&find_loc=Surrey&start=0

Thanks Billy.