British Comedy Guide

Status report Page 6,175

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 30th October 2023, 3:42 PM

Exactly - don't you go on a listenin' to them there city fellers.

Natch; BUT, the farmers need the extra daylight in the morning, and that is why they welcomed the continuation of BST

You missed the point. The farmers need to get up an hour later, by the clock, when BST is active.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 30th October 2023, 5:07 PM

But BST gives you darker mornings. It is the evenings that are lighter.

Of course - I suffered brain fog when I typed that 🤔

Quote: billwill @ 30th October 2023, 6:56 PM

You missed the point. The farmers need to get up an hour later, by the clock, when BST is active.

Yes Bill, but you need to see my defence above re Billy's post

Changing the clock is quite mind-numbing, I'm still not sure whether my post should say an hour earlier or should say an hour later! :-)

PS It also applies to the feed times for domestic pets like dogs etc.

Playing a lot of online daily chess in a two year plan to get to 1500 rating and improve at rapid. Getting there will take 1000s of study hours and some days I can't wait to hit the board and some days the thought of it makes me feel sick which I'm learning is part of the journey to breaking out of the beginner class.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 31st October 2023, 2:40 PM

Playing a lot of online daily chess in a two year plan to get to 1500 rating and improve at rapid. Getting there will take 1000s of study hours and some days I can't wait to hit the board and some days the thought of it makes me feel sick which I'm learning is part of the journey to breaking out of the beginner class.

Ha me too

I keep having to play Indians - and they are insanely good players 🤯

Has anyone had or been offered a shingles jab? I've seen a bit about it on the news, but there doesn't seem to be the urgency as there is with flu or covid.

Can't the farmers just get up earlier - or work later?

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 31st October 2023, 3:23 PM

Has anyone had or been offered a shingles jab? I've seen a bit about it on the news, but there doesn't seem to be the urgency as there is with flu or covid.

I had Shingles a few years ago. Surprising pain if I remember correcting.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 31st October 2023, 3:23 PM

shingles jab - there doesn't seem to be the urgency as there is with flu or covid.

I mentioned it to the GP the other day and was brushed off. Maybe they don't think they're getting paid enough to do them.

Having now reached the qualifying age of 70 a couple of weeks ago, I have had a text from my surgery to make an appointment for a shingles jab.

Having recently had the covid jab, the flu jab and a tooth extracted, I decided to give it a bit more time. There's only so much punishment the body can take. I've also been asked to make an appointment for a pneumococcal vaccination.

I've read on-line that the shingles one can be painful - as Chappers says above. Then again so can shingles.

I also read that it is done in two instalments, six months apart.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 31st October 2023, 7:04 PM

Having now reached the qualifying age of 70 a couple of weeks ago, I have had a text from my surgery to make an appointment for a shingles jab.

Having recently had the covid jab, the flu jab and a tooth extracted, I decided to give it a bit more time. There's only so much punishment the body can take. I've also been asked to make an appointment for a pneumococcal vaccination.

I've read on-line that the shingles one can be painful - as Chappers says above. Then again so can shingles.

I also read that it is done in two instalments, six months apart.

I didn't have the jab. I actually had shingles about 8 years ago.

Quote: Chappers @ 31st October 2023, 7:43 PM

I didn't have the jab. I actually had shingles about 8 years ago.

Sorry - I misread your post. More incentive to go for the jab then.

Quote: lofthouse @ 31st October 2023, 3:07 PM

Ha me too

I keep having to play Indians - and they are insanely good players 🤯

Some excellent youtube channels from India with footage of tournaments and interviews. I've got 148 games on the go at chess.com which are all 3+ days per move so easy to keep on top of them. My reasoning for playing so many games is that it's a few months project where I predict I'll win roughly half of the games and lose roughly half which is my current trend so my rating isn't going to change by very much but I'll have gained the experience of playing all of those games. I've already learnt a few harsh lessons and the main one is not to play when I'm tired. I've blundered so many queens that way. The next day I look back thinking why the hell did I make that move and leave a piece unguarded.

I've noticed how important castling is and sometimes I'll sacrifice a knight by taking the F7 pawn as white or F2 pawn as black within the first few moves. It could be seen as a careless move but the king has to take the knight (he doesn't have to but by not taking it he'll lose a castle or the queen) and by taking it loses the ability to castle the king. Meanwhile I'm safely castled with my queen ready to come out to play and the enemy king is exposed on the 7th rank. It can be very easy to get mate within a few moves from that position or at the very least give me a strategic advantage so it's hard to resist doing that move even if it can backfire badly sometimes and make the game a losing battle. I've started to think of chess as a cross between snakes and ladders and donkey kong :D

It is such a clever clever game

It seems surprising to me that something like this could have been thought up over a thousand years ago

I love chess, but haven't got the time or concentration for it

I Don't know where to put this, so here will do.

An English and grammar question.

My English and grammar is atrocious, it always has been. I have to use an 'on the fly spelling and grammar checker and still rubbish and mistakes get through.

But whenever I write the word 'and' after a list separated by commas, it says I should put a comma before the 'and.

eg red, yellow, blue, and green. Is that right?