British Comedy Guide

Status report Page 6,173

Quote: DaButt @ 27th October 2023, 9:43 AM

Frantically packing before my Uber arrives to take me to the airport; heading to Seattle to visit my son and his wife. Ugly 2.75-hour layover at LAX, where a beer costs $18 with a mandatory 18% gratuity on top - makes the $9 inflight can of beer seem like a bargain.

Mandatory gratuity? What sort of free country is that? Why don't they just put it on the price and pay their staff better?

Quote: Chappers @ 27th October 2023, 5:59 PM

Mandatory gratuity? What sort of free country is that? Why don't they just put it on the price and pay their staff better?

Yes, I remember in the late 1970s we had to stop over for a few hours in Dallas airport, to get a flight to Mexico, and was told that the girl serving behind the bar expected a generous tip (for just pouring a drink out as you sat at said bar!) and if you didn't you would be looked down on by all and sundry

Of't tut footy this morning. The Dragon Inn is opening its doors at 10:00 for a few early ales.

We're at Leeds Utd and the cheeky bastards tried to charge us £45 per ticket.
But put under pressure and being told that even the premier league has a cap of £30 for away supporters - they relented.
It has added fuel to the fire though against our arch enemies.

Best of luck - my experience is their fans are ugly, nasty bastards

Elland Road is a shit hole

Tonight's the night to spring forward; fall back (although I've never seen how that helps - it might just as easily be spring back; fall forward)

I can never get my head around it.

Quote: Chappers @ 28th October 2023, 8:42 PM

I can never get my head around it.

Simples - Fall (Autumn) back, clocks go back. Spring forward, clocks go forward.

Re-setting the heating controller is always a struggle for me. And a moment's panic when I jumped in the car for work on Monday morning :)

My mum always said "You've got to put it on before you can take it off again"

Yes. Fall forward, spring back. Easy to remember! No mistakes can be made!

And of course anyone who bemoans the encroachment of Americanisms into the language is going to have a real problem with "Fall back".

The prime motive is/was to save lives of under 12s being run over going to school, but how many under 12s walk to school these days? It's long been mooted that the ulterior motive is actually to get people up and out to work when otherwise like last Friday it was still dark at 7 and will be getting darker till the winter solstice.

And enough of the Leeds fans bashing. When I briefly had a season ticket, going in the bus to the ground after a couple of pints was the best laugh ever, and me a southerner. Great bunch.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 29th October 2023, 7:54 AM

And of course anyone who bemoans the encroachment of Americanisms into the language is going to have a real problem with "Fall back".

There are exceptions 😁

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 29th October 2023, 8:17 AM

And enough of the Leeds fans bashing.

Nope

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 29th October 2023, 8:17 AM

The prime motive is/was to save lives of under 12s being run over going to school, but how many under 12s walk to school these days? It's long been mooted that the ulterior motive is actually to get people up and out to work when otherwise like last Friday it was still dark at 7 and will be getting darker till the winter solstice.

But of course we are now at the correct time (GMT); the one that nature - and the position of the sun - intended. It was the one that ended yesterday (BST) - the one which results in darker mornings - which is the man-made one.

I thought it was something to do with lighter mornings for farmers?