British Comedy Guide

Status report Page 6,170

When my wife came out of hospital, in which she was in bed for two weeks, with no physio and so came home in a worse state than she went in, AND to rub salt into the wound, she needn't have gone in away in the first place!! FFS!!

So, she comes home, now not able to stand through weakness in her legs and I'm told there is an up to 6 weeks waiting list for a physio to come and see her, and that she cannot have a "Sara Stedy" (exercise aid) until she has been assessed.

Time is running on, so I look to buy one of these aids at £1400 (S/H on Ebay £600) and I ring up again and get to actually speak to someone in the know (both the Suffolk County Council and the NHS both saying it is not their department FFS i.e. Buck passing), only to be told that I had been misinformed, and that the waiting time was actually 18 weeks!!!

Stunned silence as I let that sink in "So, she cannot be assessed until next year, you are saying?" 'Yes' was the reply. "So, in the meantime she can just get worse, and that's it" 'Yes, but we did send you a sheet of exercises you can help her with' "YES, I said, and after waiting nearly a week for them, they were for a person sitting in a chair!!" - my wife was bed bound at the time, and all in all, it has been an annoying and frustrating experience, and I managed quite easily to print off a correct set of exercises via another County Council.

Conclusion - they are effin' useless.

Been on a diet for five weeks now and have lost just over a stone, which I'm very pleased about and here's to the next one 🙂

In my half asleep state, I saw a spider scuttle across my bathroom floor last night. It was so big and fast, I thought it was a mouse at first.

Why do they need to be that big? Surely they'd have a better survival rate being so small that we can't see them and they remain undetected, other than the extra WiFi usage whilst they access the web.

A process
This is an account of what I recently went through. It's not morbid nor is it light, it is simply a way of my processing events.
It's a general account for those who know me in person, alongside those who very kindly asked after me in cyber space. So be this an email or a posting on a site it is simply my way to get it all out in one go and get back to normal conversations / outrageous arguments. Basically, I am trying to prevent the elephant from getting into the room in the first place.

The caper started when I was invited to attend 'Bowel Class'. It's the day before your operation and is designed to outline what will happen. At the same they give you tips to ensure you turn up with the right kit. Things like slippers with backs are safer than flip flops whilst wearing surgical stockings and public nakedness can be prevented via the use of a dressing gown, stuff like that.
Now at this point I was led to believe that the operation was both standard and safe and that most of its recipients by the 5th day are back on their sofa's spending their afternoons recuperating in front of their TV sucking peppermints and watching people being butchered like hogs with B&Q secateurs in sunny English villages.

Having finished the class, we walked around the ward. I took this as a chance to assess how much emergency equipment is on hand in case things take a turn for the worse. It's a tricky ratio with me, on one hand when it comes to emergency kits, I like to see some but not too, many, otherwise I start thinking that they're having way too many emergencies and may in fact be farcical bunglers.

So, the next day I was sat on a bed in my very own room wearing a surgical gown and next to me was my bag full of the right kit. Suddenly one of the largest men I have ever seen came into my room carrying an enema.
It was not a pretty sight. Now while it may not be on purpose, I suspect that this nurse saves the NHS millions as anyone having second thoughts and thinking of cancelling their operation would soon get into line once they saw this guy.

Next, I was off on a trolley and asked a series of questions ranging from allergies to addresses and then I fell asleep.

I had a four and a half operation to remove my rectum and anus and to create a stoma on the left side of my stomach. The operation was keyhole with the use of surgeon led robotics. The surgery was described as 'Uneventful.' However, what was to follow was the hardest days of my life. And that of my family

Bowels are notoriously tricky things to disturb as such after an operation they are inclined to 'Go to sleep' this can last anywhere from 6 hours to 2 or even 3 days. That being the case the few days were not as bad as I had full strength oxy based painkillers. And despite some concern my state was adjudged to be still inside an acceptable time window.
By the fourth night the pain was so intense it was hard not to scream so I did. My painkillers were diluted I suspect to prevent addiction. Then I began to vomit pure bile and I had to have an NG which is a pipe pushed up your nose and then down your throat. You can feel it in your throat all day as it drains the bile into a bag.

Each morning the consultant and his trainees would be stood at the foot of my bed, it was brave faces for the first 4 days but by the 5th 'Alternatives' were being mooted. Reluctantly they gave me a 3rd CT scan, as I had already been exposed to a lot of radiation having undergone radiation treat prior to surgery.

The head of Radiology said that I had entered a severe state of 'Ileus' were the bowel stays asleep. At this point I was almost if not totally delirious and terrified.
By the 7th day I was in quite a bad state and being fed and hydrated through tubes that also had me on antibiotics as they detected an infection.

In the early hours of the 7th night. I vomited all over myself and my bed and I was frightened and crying in the dark when I pressed the buzzer. The lights came up low, from what I can recall three nurses took me from the bed and juggled the tubes on the stand and they help me take my PJ bottoms off and they sat me on a shower chair and turned on the shower all the time assuring me that everything was ok.

So I sat naked in the chair as the shower started. I don't have an athletic frame to begin with and now I am in my 60's so I must have been a terrible sight, I had tubes being fed through my main vein. I had a bag on my stoma, no anus, a catheter strapped to my leg gathering my urine and a bag of blood in my side that dealt post op measures I didn't understand. And a bag of green bile leading from a nasal tube, I had hit rock bottom.

Then I could see from my shower chair that my bed was being remade with crisp sheets and I was gently dried and changed and helped into it. That night I prayed, not to God, but to my dead big brother asking him to 'Get me out of this'. I would pray to God for my loved ones, but praying for myself we both knew was a nonstarter.
That night as I slept my bowels began to work and within 24 hours, I was an almost completely different person.

So while the consultant was happy with my turn around he ordered I stay in for 7 days to recuperate fully. During this time, I did my bit by walking the corridor outside my ward with my tubes on a wheel stand after 3 days the was no tubes and I was using the stairs to go down four floors to get a cup of teas from the Costa in the hospital foyer.

During my walks along the hospital corridors all I saw was young vibrant intelligent people from across the globe in one uniform, scrub or another and lanyards stating a myriad of departments. I saw mature consults with stethoscopes around their necks chatting on their mobiles in various languages.
I saw cleaners and porters of every stripe and gender, keeping the wheels going. But most of all I was able to speak to those that helped me in the night. I wanted to thank those who had quietly worked around my bed talking my stats or bloods and changing my drips and even wiping my brow, they came from everywhere including Latvia Belfast Uganda and even Bootle.
In short, I saw the NHS at its best and its importance to every community it serves.
As for me I will still need more chemo and stuff but its not all doom and gloom. If I was sportsman my race would be run. But as a writer I feel that I have seen more to myself than I knew about, and I sense it will add depth to writing.

Thank you to anyone who reads this,

I read it G with a sense of horror and sympathy.
I could have cheered when your bowels started working again lol.

You are right - the NHS is a multicultural mix of fabulous caring professional people.

Get well soon.

Thanks Stephen,

Hi Teddy

Wow....

So sorry for all that you have had to go through mate

It's great that the NHS staff have been looking after you so well

I used to work with a guy who went through something very similar and he was back to work a couple of months later!

Hope you get well soon buddy

👍

Flipping heck, Teddy.
Glad you're back with us and feeling a bit better!

I love the way a writer will have something horrific happen to them and one of the first things they think of is, somehow I can use this. :)

Well done on getting through it all Teddy, great to see you back. The NHS is a multicultural blessing to this country.

Perhaps we'll get a "Singing Detective" for the 21st Century out of you, Teddy?
Glad you came out the other end of what sounds like a pretty dark time.
Anyway, the world doesn't need more sportsmen, it needs more writers.
Keep on keeping on.

Thanks for the well wishing folks and lets hope the added gravitas gives my work the edge it needs to succeed.

Good luck Teddy. Sounds like Hell,

thanks Chappers

Had thyroid blood test and talked them into giving a flu jab at the GP's surgery on Monday - for Christ's sake!, I feel honoured and today I had my 5th (?) Covid - so far, so good without any side effects

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 4th October 2023, 3:43 PM

................ and today I had my 5th (?) Covid - so far, so good without any side effects

Should have known I'd spoken too soon, as don't feel so brilliant now, BUT on the bright side I managed to get all my (c.60 odd) spring bulbs in this afternoon.