British Comedy Guide

Status report Page 4,478

Who, me or Laura? He wanted to know the way to Oxford Street and I was waiting for my friend at a busy tube station. I didn't know, so he went to ask, surprise surprise, another woman. She did know, and as he walked back past me a few seconds later I avoided his gaze so he (naturally!) pretended to slap me.

What an absolute psycho.
Why are people so bloody weird?

What an insane shite! don't waste your time being angry - he's the one who has a problem.

It just shouldn't be allowed to happen. Like no one should think that behaviour is appropriate. :(

Quote: Scatterbrained Floozy @ May 24 2012, 12:12 AM BST

It just shouldn't be allowed to happen. Like no one should think that behaviour is appropriate. :(

Bet he was foreign.

Bet he was on drugs.

Quote: zooo @ May 24 2012, 12:27 AM BST

Bet he was on drugs and foreign.

Quote: DaButt @ May 23 2012, 8:08 PM BST

I don't think any pilot has used that term in the last 100 years.

The word "Joystick" is still in common use for Flight Simulator control devices and was probably common throughout WW-II and beyond.

http://tinyurl.com/cqqsajt

The original meaning of "YOKE" of course is the bar of wood used on Horse or Cattle shoulders as an aid to pulling carts or ploughs.

Quote: DaButt @ May 23 2012, 11:29 PM BST

The property appraisers came out and measured my house a few weeks ago and when the annual appraisal came out I found that they'd increased the size of my house by 350 square feet, adding about $15,000 to the value and another $300 per year in property tax. I figured they'd measured incorrectly, so I just used a laser measuring device and my calculations show that the bastards were right. I always thought the place was 2535 square feet but it looks like it's actually 2885 square feet. (Google says that's about 268 square meters for you metrics out there.)

I don't relish the thought of paying more taxes but I guess it'll work out in my favor when it comes time to sell the house.

268 square meters would look like this: http://tinyurl.com/6n79zsr

I think you meant metres Cool

Quote: billwill @ May 24 2012, 1:10 AM BST

The word "Joystick" is still in common use for Flight Simulator control devices and was probably common throughout WW-II and beyond.

Flying simulated planes at home is not the same thing as flying actual jet fighters. I've never heard a jet pilot call his controls a joystick.

I think you meant metres Cool

Always spelling things wrong, you British ...

Quote: Oldrocker @ May 24 2012, 12:25 AM BST

Bet he was foreign.

Elliot said that about a guy on the street who annoyed me by calling me "darling". I really don't think it's a viable excuse. :(

Quote: zooo @ May 23 2012, 9:06 PM BST

Here is a recent photo of him.

Loved the film!

Quote: Will Cam @ May 23 2012, 10:11 PM BST

Anyone ever been on this steroid malarky? Am feeling quite strange. My resting heart rate has increased from around 65-75 bpm to about 115 bpm so I have taken today and tomorrow of sick.

They can make people agitated, wide awake, emotional and very hungry. If you are not used to them and you are worried, get your doc to check you out. They don't suit everyone.

Quote: sootyj @ May 23 2012, 7:18 PM BST

Getting a bit tired of the old dyspraxia. It's such an odd disability. Probably the most noticable bit is the screwy short term memory. Basically I can process short, quick information very swiftly. But anything more complex and I find myself reading and rereading stuff and the information not going in.
It's been my bane at work and has really put me off going for any sort of promotion in years. I just know I'll get caught out.
So of late I've been going for on line writing jobs. And after building my rep on elance by doing lots of "1000 funny captions for $150" and "50 jokes for $100" find myself invited to try out for a much more interesting job writing ap content. I get the email with the task on it.
Read it, reread it. It's not going in. Shit.

Thanks for bearing with me.

Have you got any coping strategies that usually work? Do you get into a cycle of it not going in trying harder, it being less likely to go in, and then perhaps something comes to mind when are NOT trying to think about it and you worry about remembering it long enough to get it on paper? Or do bits of it come to mind but you find it hard to get them into context if you are not focussing on the subject in hand at the time? Does that make you doubt your ability to do it at all?

Quote: Scatterbrained Floozy @ May 23 2012, 11:59 PM BST

The bastard who pretended, in broad daylight at a tube station, to slap me around the face when I didn't answer his question/make eye contact when he put his face into mine.

Quote: keewik @ May 24 2012, 12:05 AM BST

did nobody help?

Quote: Scatterbrained Floozy @ May 24 2012, 12:12 AM BST

It's possible that people didn't think it was appropriate, with so many people around it could be a case of the bystander effect, or genuinely that some didn't notice, or were too scared to intervene.
It can be terrifying when things like that happen, not knowing what the perpetrator might do or if anyone will help you. Do you carry any kind of alarm? It may not get you any help but it might scare him off at least. I have an alarm on my phone for things like that - it makes a loud noise but also automatically alerts a chosen person. It has helped me. Or you could just shout 'get off, stop' or something like that. You may feel a bit daft but if it's enough to scare someone away it's worth it.

I did have an actual alarm, but I think it went walkies at a music festival. Maybe I should get a new one. The problem yesterday was that he had basically walked past by the time I could have responded, and I didn't think it was worth antagonising him. I just get frustrated. :$

Quote: Scatterbrained Floozy @ May 24 2012, 11:24 AM BST

I did have an actual alarm, but I think it went walkies at a music festival. Maybe I should get a new one. The problem yesterday was that he had basically walked past by the time I could have responded, and I didn't think it was worth antagonising him. I just get frustrated. :$

Yeah, it is frustrating because he got away with it, but definitely not worth antagonising him. Tell yourself his day probably wasn't spoiled so you certainly don't want to spoil yours by spending it feeling frustrated. You are a much better person than he will ever be - take comfort from that.
:)