British Comedy Guide

Can you recommend a video camera?

For shooting sketches. A digital one.

There are so many out there, does anyone have one which they're happy with?

Cheers,
JW

Edited by Aaron.

What's your budget?

£250 ish? tops

Just looking in the Argos catalogue. It's not rocket science. :)

I was going to say this one

See Amazon product listing

But that's a tad more.

Can you recommend a video camera?

Yes, mine - it's broken and isn't digital...but don't let that put you off. All offers considered.

Quote: chipolata @ September 30 2008, 11:34 AM BST

Just looking in the Argos catalogue. It's not rocket science. :)

Quote: jdubya @ September 30 2008, 11:18 AM BST

There are so many out there, does anyone have one which they're happy with?

Lovey

Nice camera, Marc. Had my eye on one for a while.

Really, J, Marc is right with the format too. You want MiniDV as its output is uncompressed footage. All other formats compress to save onboard storage space before you even get to editing stage.

Canon seem to be the best in general. They tend to do well in prosumer tests. I've been watching the Canon HV-30 for a while as the real pro stuff is beyond my budget unless I can be assured of making cash through the equipment.

I'm also interested in this thread. I have a budget up to £1000.

I was told super8 is making a comeback but don't want to invest in equipment that is independent of the PC.

Quote: SlagA @ September 30 2008, 12:33 PM BST

Nice camera, Marc. Had my eye on one for a while.

Really, J, Marc is right with the format too. You want MiniDV as its output is uncompressed footage. All other formats compress to save onboard storage space before you even get to editing stage.

Canon seem to be the best in general. They tend to do well in prosumer tests. I've been watching the Canon HV-30 for a while as the real pro stuff is beyond my budget unless I can be assured of making cash through the equipment.

I'm also interested in this thread. I have a budget up to £1000.

I was told super8 is making a comeback but don't want to invest in equipment that is independent of the PC.

My eye is on one too, hopefully next year I might be able to get one and start making some shorts.

It's good to have a plan :)

Quote: Marc P @ September 30 2008, 12:36 PM BST

and start making some shorts.

Quote: Leevil @ September 30 2008, 12:40 PM BST

How much?

I'd also like to know about an affordable camera.

I recall reading an article a couple of years ago about Super8 film being phased out, so that wouldn't be the thing to get into. I have to admit I do prefer film rather than digital video, but of course the latter is way cheaper and more convenient.

David Lynch made a film with a consumer level camera, so did the maker of the film about getting a date with Drew Barrymore - I think he even had the camera on a 30 day trial from the store. It's a very interesting subject, even you or I could make a film these days.

Quote: ContainsNuts @ September 30 2008, 12:46 PM BST

How much?

The question you need to be asking is - How deep?