British Comedy Guide

Sketches wanted Page 3

Quote: Mikey J @ September 30 2008, 4:05 PM BST

Sorry if I offended anyone, but the general consensus, especially in the BSG forums is that six pilots are presented and it seems to be the unlikeliest, most unfunny ones who get commissioned as a series.
Not my words. I've simply read everyones views on the commissioned ones.

Matthew, I wish you luck with your project. Let's hope it gets through and changes the concensus.

Wasn't offended, don't worry, you speaketh the truth.

Quote: Mikey J @ September 30 2008, 4:11 PM BST

Hi again, DrVole.

Are you related to Dr Fox? :P

And lol @ joker. Ok, fair enough, point taken. :)

OK, so it's a sketch show, but do all the sketches need to be about the same guy and his scenerio?

Dr Fox is no relation of mine - he is my enemy. My enemy, I tell you!

Sorry. Must calm down. I'd ideally like all the sketches to be about that guy and his scenario, the thing is that they don't have to be related.

However, if you've an idea which works in a similar world (eg, a newscasting situation where the camera still plays a conspicious role, or an interview with a country character that doesn't involve Dennis), that's cool, don't mind if you stretch it a bit.

Can I add how grateful I am for response from people so far. :)

ah I see.

So it could also be sketches about the crew too?

Quote: Matthew Stott @ September 30 2008, 4:21 PM BST

Wasn't offended, don't worry, you speaketh the truth.

Ah, that's good. :)

I can attest to the fact that the good Dr Vole is a very fine comedy man!

:)

Yes, me too. Seen his stuff on 4Laughs and it is good.

The Slaggs like DrVole too.

Quote: DrVole @ September 29 2008, 5:08 PM BST

I am new here - a small, scared, tiny water rodent in need some writers of a very high standard to send me some sketches around the below premise:
-----
A small time TV presenter, let's call him Dennis, is keen to make progress in his career, but he has a big dilemma - his latest project, a regional 'country ways'-type production, makes him sick. He's bored by the quirky history, disgusted by the strange customs and bemused by the crazy characters that lurk in the country. We know this because this show occasionally features his comments and arguments with his producer / camaraman before and between takes (we see this raw footage as well as the edited film). Nevertheless, he must plough on. That's the set up and pay off .
-----

Would it be okay if we transcribed an Alan Partridge script and sent you that? :)

Quote: chipolata @ September 30 2008, 4:43 PM BST

Would it be okay if we transcribed an Alan Partridge script and sent you that? :)

Nailed!

Quote: chipolata @ September 30 2008, 4:43 PM BST

LOL - I thought this would come up. I know on paper it sounds a bit Partridgy. I think Dennis is different though, with a different dilemma. Unlike Alan, he hates owl sanctuares and Norwich Cathedral. He's not a dinosaur, he's more of an upstart with a lack of interest in non-glamourous stuff, and gets found out.

The way it's filmed would be different too, since the camera and crew play a much more important part.

Hope that convinced...

Quote: DrVole @ September 30 2008, 4:58 PM BST

LOL - I thought this would come up. I know on paper it sounds a bit Partridgy. I think Dennis is different though, with a different dilemma. Unlike Alan, he hates owl sanctuares and Norwich Cathedral. He's not a dinosaur, he's more of an upstart with a lack of interest in non-glamourous stuff, and gets found out.

The way it's filmed would be different too, since the camera and crew play a much more important part.

Hope that convinced...

Okay, I'll buy that. What's the time frame on it? Do we see Dennis over the course of a several years, gradually ageing and growing more bitter? Or is it just a snapshot of Dennis now?

Hi DrVole, as you didn't supply any contact info I assume you wanted sketch ideas posted here?

I have a character that fits the type your TV presenter Dennis might encounter on his project, the grouse shooting squire type:

http://tinyurl.com/3kqcyr

Quote: DrVole @ September 29 2008, 5:08 PM BST

A small time TV presenter, let's call him Dennis, is keen to make progress in his career, but he has a big dilemma - his latest project, a regional 'country ways'-type production, makes him sick.

I'm Alan Parsnip?

Quote: fatbloke @ September 30 2008, 5:55 PM BST

Hi DrVole, as you didn't supply any contact info I assume you wanted sketch ideas posted here?

I have a character that fits the type your TV presenter Dennis might encounter on his project, the grouse shooting squire type:

http://tinyurl.com/3kqcyr

I'll take a look at that, so cheers! PM your sketches to me.

Quote: chipolata @ September 30 2008, 5:04 PM BST

Okay, I'll buy that. What's the time frame on it? Do we see Dennis over the course of a several years, gradually ageing and growing more bitter? Or is it just a snapshot of Dennis now?

Hi, no, stick to Dennis as a small-time TV presenter in his mid to late 20s.

Fanks!

Hello again all,

We'll be choosing scripts at the end of the week. There's been a good response but there's room for more ideas. If you fancy a crack at this, please PM me your sketch by Friday morning. If it's ace and the producer likes it and it contributes to some sort of success, I'll take you to the zoo to heckle giraffes.

Ideas which haven't been covered but might work, just for a bit of inspiration:

Punch and Judy
Eating wildlife
Obscure field sports

Look forward to your ideas. Let the gang-jape commence.