British Comedy Guide

The Writers Bureau

About ten years ago I came across an advert for The Writers Bureau. It is essentially a home writing course that you complete at your own pace and you have access to tutors and guidence and so forth.

http://www.writersbureau.com/

It just so happened that around that time a friend of my wife's family was a literary agent (they used to personally represent Agatha Christie - and no I do not have any links to this person now, if they are even still alive, otherwise I would have definately tapped it up!) anyway, I asked for their advice on this course and they replied - Don't touch it.

So ten years on and common sense has taken a back seat. I am looking at this course and wondering if it's worth a pop.

Does anyone have any experience of Thw Writers Bureau ?

Def.

I can't comment on this specific course, but isn't the writing world full of these sorts of schemes that promise to help new writers improve and get published but ultimately just exploit them?

I know they used to advertise on the back of The Guide every Saturday. They look fishy as hell to me.

Quote: chipolata @ September 26 2008, 11:00 AM BST

I can't comment on this specific course, but isn't the writing world full of these sorts of schemes that promise to help new writers improve and get published but ultimately just exploit them?

That is what this literagy agent said. The actual comment was "Don't touch it with a barge pole."

So I left it. Then yesterday I came across details of their course again and it sparked my interest. I agree with you about things out there looking to exploit writers. The sensible business side of me knows this. But there is a little bit of me like Fox Mulder; 'I want to believe'.

Hence I'm just seeing if anyone here has any expenience of this outfit.

Def.

Quote: Deferenz @ September 26 2008, 11:14 AM BST

That is what this literagy agent said. The actual comment was "Don't touch it with a barge pole."

So I left it. Then yesterday I came across details of their course again and it sparked my interest. I agree with you about things out there looking to exploit writers. The sensible business side of me knows this. But their is a little bit of me like Fox Mulder; 'I want to beleive'.

I can sympathise with that feeling. :)

Home study is a load of bum, there's plenty of good writing courses at college or uni.

an ex of mine spent a fortune signing up to this.

They give you all the gear you need, lots of books on writing and marketing and blah and blah... I was a journo at the time and I do remember being quite impressed with the amount of material they gave you. And if I remember they say they'll refund your cash if you don't make it back within a year.

The only catch is you've got to be actually arsed to go through with all the exercises etc. She didn't. It just sat in a box, like that frigging ab-exerciser she bought and the pissing foot spa.

The 'pissing foot spa'. I wonder if Dragon's Den would be interested...

Dan

Quote: jdubya @ September 26 2008, 11:43 AM BST

They give you all the gear you need, lots of books on writing and marketing and blah and blah... I was a journo at the time and I do remember being quite impressed with the amount of material they gave you. And if I remember they say they'll refund your cash if you don't make it back within a year.

The only catch is you've got to be actually arsed to go through with all the exercises etc. She didn't. It just sat in a box, like that frigging ab-exerciser she bought and the pissing foot spa.

This is bang on.

I signed up in 2004 and completed one of the assignments and promptly got some very good feedback and advice. The problem was was that I didn't follow it up - not having a specific deadline is the killer for me as it just keeps getting put off.

Technically I can start today on the second assignment - I still have all the stuff so maybe I will look it out again...

All in all I think the course is good IF you do the work.

I need to come up with a great home study course that no-one can be arsed to do as it's piss-easy money. They pay up front and never use it so I don't have to do any work. :D

Quote: swerytd @ September 26 2008, 11:45 AM BST

The 'pissing foot spa'. I wonder if Dragon's Den would be interested...

Dan

Laughing out loud

Quote: jdubya @ September 26 2008, 11:43 AM BST

Quote: Tuumble @ September 26 2008, 11:49 AM BST

This is bang on.

I signed up in 2004 and completed one of the assignments and promptly got some very good feedback and advice. The problem was was that I didn't follow it up - not having a specific deadline is the killer for me as it just keeps getting put off.

Technically I can start today on the second assignment - I still have all the stuff so maybe I will look it out again...

All in all I think the course is good IF you do the work.

I need to come up with a great home study course that no-one can be arsed to do as it's piss-easy money. They pay up front and never use it so I don't have to do any work. :D

So jdubya and Tuumble have some experience of this course. To pick up on your points it would seem that neither of you are saying anything bad about the course itself, but merely that it requires some KICKASS MOTIVATION from the person who's doing it. Is that about the size of it?

Def.

Quote: Deferenz @ September 26 2008, 12:00 PM BST

So jdubya and Tuumble have some experience of this course. To pick up on your points it would seem that neither of you are saying anything bad about the course itself, but merely that it requires some KICKASS MOTIVATION from the person who's doing it. Is that about the size of it?

Def.

Yes.

Kind of.

You don't need KICKASS MOTIVATION just the commitment to do it when you say you will. If you set up a proper planned schedule and you follow it you can do it like any other course. Maybe ask a friend to check on you so it doesn't slip - once it does it's very easy to abandon it.

I did a distance course at Birmingham, but it involved lots of e-mail and online conferencing.

Frankly if it's a box of books you're after, than why not just shop judiciously at Amazon?

I looked into this a couple of years ago and again had some concerns although nothing I could put my finger on. One of the reasons for not persuing it was that it contained modules on aspects of writing that I had no interest in. I knew I was very unlikely to complete these.

I then started to look at alternatives and, from memory, found one advertised in 'The Writer' magazine. They offered a number of courses depending on your areas of interest and it was cheaper than WB.

Have to say I didn't persue this either in the end as I just wanted to write.

Looks like you can pick up the materials for £20 on eBay...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Journalism-Course-Writers-Bureau-College-Of-Journalism_W0QQitemZ180293489383QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item180293489383&_trkparms=72%3A1301%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

You can not unreasonably buy these just to see if you think it's worth persuing. If you don't think it is you have a good reference guide to refer to.

If you think it is worth it you can enrole and then you have the access to the tutors for help and advice etc...and you can sell the old course materials on eBay again. :)