British Comedy Guide

Current radio comedy... Page 20

Quote: JuliaC @ February 18 2009, 9:16 PM GMT

:) The Alan Bennett bit was the best section of the series.

The rest of it has been pretty terrible. The first time I listened, I didn't even realise there was an audience until they finally broke their silence after about 15 minutes.

Really I was looking forward to listening to this on the way up to Edinburgh today. I loved The Blaggers Guide.

I might give Clare In The Community a go.

Anything else worth having a listen to? I think my favourite of the last 12 months is easily Bleak Expectations. I thought that was stunning.

As much as like Old Harry's Game, I couldn't help but feel Thursday's was a bit run of the mill, with easy targets and and a predictable feel. I hope it improves over the course of its run, as at it's peak it's a great show, with plenty of laugh out loud moments.

Quote: jdubya @ February 20 2009, 10:26 AM GMT

Anything else worth having a listen to? I think my favourite of the last 12 months is easily Bleak Expectations. I thought that was stunning.

Cabin Pressure. Miranda Hart's Joke Shop also well worth trying.

Why is jbduya's post suddenly more grammatically correct? I'm sure when I read it last it was his usual jumble of capital letter-free and grammar-dodging balderdash.

Back on topic, I quite enjoyed Inside Alan Francis last week. No real laugh out loud moments, but enjoyable nonetheless.

I edited it.

Terribly let down by Broken Arts. Quantik proved himself as a writer in my eyes with Blaggers Guide, but this...

Mind you the list of writing credits at the end was massive, with some good names in there. But... it just didn't work for me at all.

I feel a bit sad. I thought it would be better.

Quantick's first series of One is being repeated on Wednesday nights. That's excellent, from what I remember. (One sketch in particular stood out as one of the best radio sketches I've ever heard). I thought it was better than the second series, but it's well worth a listen.

Dan

Will check that out Dan.

Nice one.

Edited by Aaron - grammar.

Thanks for the reminder Dan. 'One' is good stuff.

Quote: swerytd @ February 25 2009, 9:10 AM GMT

(One sketch in particular stood out as one of the best radio sketches I've ever heard).

It is a very good show. Which was the sketch?

Don't want to ruin it, but <quote to see :) >

You've only got today to listen to episode one from last week if you haven't heard it btw!

Dan

Another good episode of Clare in the Community. Although does anyone else feel the foreign nanny is a tad too similar to the foreign cleaner in Lead Balloon? A small quibble, though. And the dead mother storyline was very good.

Really good selection in episode one.
Loved 'Top Dog' and the 'Which Regiment would you join?'

'Top Dog' was one of the better sketches, I thought too.

Dan

It's not British but it is Commonwealth ;)
I thought I'd mention that the very funny Russell Peters is about to start his second series of his CBC Radio 1 hit Monsoon House. I'm sure if you wanted to hear it you could listen to the CBC online radio.
It also has Michael Riley from 'This is Wonderland' a Canadian show I know some of you watched and liked.