British Comedy Guide

Online/Virtual Friendships/Relationships

What are everyone's views on online friendships? Are they real?

Can forums be likened to a work place/pub community?

Can you fall in love (for real) online?

I met my fiance while travelling but, being as she's still stuck in the States years later and we only get to see each other every few months, most of our relationship has played out online and on the telephone. It's not ideal but it can be done.

Knew my girlfriend on-line for years, finally met up and just hit it off or got it on?

Good question, Ellie.

I think so. Just because you can't see the person, you're still communicating with them - hopefully as you would in real life, so I don't really see what the difference is.

I also think you can fall in love, and in fact know of plenty of people that have. It's a great thing in a way that noone can judge you on what you look like which can be a huge and very unfair barrier in the real world.

Having said that though I must admit there a loads of people on here who I would love to meet in the flesh because you just can't help but be curious about what they look or sound like.

Quote: ian_w @ March 27, 2008, 3:27 PM

Good question, Ellie.

I think so. Just because you can't see the person, you're still communicating with them - hopefully as you would in real life, so I don't really see what the difference is.

I also think you can fall in love, and in fact know of plenty of people that have. It's a great thing in a way that noone can judge you on what you look like which can be a huge and very unfair barrier in the real world.

Having said that though I must admit there a loads of people on here who I would love to meet in the flesh because you just can't help but be curious about what they look or sound like.

Same here. :)

I also agree with Ian. One of my friends last week asked me "who are those people from Britain that are on your Facebook"? Pleased

Yes.

No.

Initially you can fall for someone, but in the end, you have to meet for their to be REAL love right?

Definitely.
Kissing and that is essential.

You can be friends online though, even if you never meet.

Yeah, I agree with Zooo, I reckon it can but it couldn't work completely online.

Quote: Gavin @ March 27, 2008, 3:57 PM

No.

Positive as always Gav :D

Quote: EllieJP @ March 27, 2008, 3:58 PM

Initially you can fall for someone, but in the end, you have to meet for their to be REAL love right?

I dunno about that. You might need to meet to confirm your feelings, but I know a few couples who have, as good as, first met in person when they came to arrange the marriage.

One particular friend of mine actually moved to Canada to be with a girl he fell in love with over t'InterWeb. Not sure if they'd actually met before he did.

Wow.

Well I like it in theory. Very romantic.

But, y'know. What if you met and there was no physical chemistry. At all. That would be a bit of a bugger. Although some people maybe don't need that.

I have LOTS of online friends now! It's crazy. My oldest online friend is of 5 years. We still talk now! :)

I have thought I had "feelings" for people online, to just meet them and for there to be nothing. It's a shame, because I think you can have really strong online bonds. If you're lucky like Leevil to fall for each other in real life too, then awesome!

Oh I can't stand her but poons poon.