British Comedy Guide

Doctor Who... Page 868

Boring.

At no point was I even vaguely intrigued.

I dearly hope - for their own sake - that this huge change in character ( ie sudden propensity to vengeful murder) is revealed by the writers to be a plot point eg he isn't the real doctor or something.

I find it peculiar that this current season is receiving so much flak on here, but the media reviews are praising it to high heaven. Is it a case of the emperors new clothes or are we justs retarded?

Quote: sootyj @ September 15 2012, 10:37 PM BST

No really who is Duggan? I can be a bit dense about names and its not familiar to me.

The detective from City of Death who went round punching everyone. Long regarded as the companion who never was.

I enjoyed this episode as I liked the look of the wild west scenery but for me the Doctor has lost something, but I have felt that since David Tennant and Billie Piper went. Matt Smith and Karen Gillian don't have the same charisma.

Westworld hasn't been mentioned yet, probably because this episode didn't deserve to be on the same sentence as it. Not sure what to hope for from next week's, the trailer had nothing more exciting in it than Rory in his pants. If that's one of the highlights, it surely can't amount to much.

I think Dr Who is being praised because it's simple minded enough for none scifi fans.

Not a good thing.

They have some excellent actors in it. Trouble is, they're given rubbish to perform.

Quote: Lazzard @ September 15 2012, 11:11 PM BST

Boring.

At no point was I even vaguely intrigued.

I dearly hope - for their own sake - that this huge change in character ( ie sudden propensity to vengeful murder) is revealed by the writers to be a plot point eg he isn't the real doctor or something.

I must admit that I'd to become concerned about this. But to be fair the writers did turn it around when Amy challenged the Doctor and he clearly agreed with her..

So with benefit of the doubt perhaps they were trying to created an emotional curve for teh doctor over two episodes.. Its very difficult to get these emotional curves into 60 minutes.

The Doctors acting was also neat in last nights episode, thought the scene with the tooth pick great.

Yours APS

From Twitter

Louise Jameson @Lou_Jameson (14 Sept.)
Had a meet today for exciting secret thing, not good at secrets, going blue with holding my breath.

Quote: Ben @ September 16 2012, 9:39 AM BST

I find it peculiar that this current season is receiving so much flak on here, but the media reviews are praising it to high heaven. Is it a case of the emperors new clothes or are we justs retarded?

... Whistling nnocently

I didn't really think much of it, but I didn't really have high hopes. Let's face it, the hybrid sci-western isn't exactly a particularly impressive genre. Other than Westworld and Firefly/Serenity it's pretty piss poor.

The cyborg was a bit cliched too. If they're not going to innovate with the writing then they could at least try something fresh and original with design.

Quote: Ben @ September 16 2012, 9:39 AM BST

I think standards of reviewing are just very low. I mean these of the same people that rave over Downton Abbey and the latest series of Strictly.

Bang on, it looked like every cliched idea of a cyborg from a bad 1980s scifi movie.

I mean BSG and Enterprise years ago were doing full CGI aliens and robots. So this piss poor clone of a borg was just dreadful.

I mean this is Dr Who who had the Daleks that were the best example of scary monsters on a budget.

In terms of technology. That the Cyborg was like a modern Merka.

On the plus side - it was great seeing Ben Browder (from Stargate / Farscape) doing a guest spot and the actor playing the Doctor Alien was very good too.

But as others have pointed out, this whole episode has been done before countless times by other superior sci-fi shows. I was pretty much predicting everything that was going to happen, including that the Doctor Alien was a war criminal, because it was so by the numbers and unimaginative.

Now, here's the bit that really confused me, when The Doctor, Amy and Rory first walk into the saloon, the townsfolk ask him if he's the Doctor from outer space and he says yes and then they grab him and throw him over the line.

But later on in the show, Ben Browder says that the Doctor Alien had been in town for years, had treated the townsfolk for disease and even built their electric lights and heaters. So unless all the townsfolk were blind, how did they mix up Matt Smith for an old bloke with green facial scars?

Explanations please.

Maybe they would have rather sacrificed another alien Doctor, before their own one.

Did they know the other doctor was the alien doctor the cyborg was after?

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ September 16 2012, 9:46 PM BST

On the plus side - it was great seeing Ben Browder (from Stargate / Farscape) doing a guest spot and the actor playing the Doctor Alien was very good too.

But as others have pointed out, this whole episode has been done before countless times by other superior sci-fi shows. I was pretty much predicting everything that was going to happen, including that the Doctor Alien was a war criminal, because it was so by the numbers and unimaginative.

Now, here's the bit that really confused me, when The Doctor, Amy and Rory first walk into the saloon, the townsfolk ask him if he's the Doctor from outer space and he says yes and then they grab him and throw him over the line.

But later on in the show, Ben Browder says that the Doctor Alien had been in town for years, had treated the townsfolk for disease and even built their electric lights and heaters. So unless all the townsfolk were blind, how did they mix up Matt Smith for an old bloke with green facial scars?

Explanations please.

Fair piont , they should have instantly recognized their own Alien Doctor.. Plot cock-up best explanation I have.

APS