British Comedy Guide

Doctor Who... Page 851

Quote: Godot Taxis @ September 4 2012, 5:07 PM BST

The Problem with Asylum and moffat's writing in general is what I was trying to allude to in my writing exercise post earlier. If you give Moffat a character who has one leg, he'll find some way of not using him or making the character bipedal again. He never works with what he's got and that's bad technique.

Given the character of the Daleks and their established convention of mind-controlling humanoids for slave labour, he introduces a new concept of 'nanoised' corpses with ridiculous head stalks. And seemingly mixing up the Daleks with the cybermen he introduces a ridiculous sequence of the new assistant being 'turned into a dalek' by shouting and neuro-linguistic programming and wearing Dalek hair curlers.

Asylum isn't really about the Daleks at all. You could easily replace them with the Cybermen. The point is a good writer doesn't just constantly invent things - even in SF - but uses what he has. The end result is more satisfying and powerful - and it it's not like the original Who material is limiting.

Now this I complete agree with. Daleks and Cybermen were utterly distinctive.

Quote: sootyj @ September 4 2012, 6:36 PM BST

Finally I feel safe to say.

Firefly was boring and Dolls House was boring and incomprehensible.

I actually even got a little bored at time in Avengers, which everyone else seems to think is a non-stop riot. (Though I did really enjoy Firefly)

And seemingly mixing up the Daleks with the cybermen he introduces a ridiculous sequence of the new assistant being 'turned into a dalek' by shouting and neuro-linguistic programming and wearing Dalek hair curlers.

To be fair, he's not the first to turn humans into Daleks. Not saying it's a great idea either way, but it was done during the original run, too.

Now this I complete agree with. Daleks and Cybermen were utterly distinctive.

Yes, and this probably would have suited the Cybermen more.

Not really Cybermen are low rent space chavs. Their battered starships Nissan Micras with UV underbody lights. The idea that if they had a whole planet too themselves they'd do anything with it...

Quote: Matthew Stott @ September 4 2012, 6:40 PM BST

I actually even got a little bored at time in Avengers, which everyone else seems to think is a non-stop riot. (Though I did really enjoy Firefly)

Avengers was overall great but the last bit was well slacky.

So Firefly is rubbish, but Doctor Who is brilliant? Now I know why Citizen Khan is getting 3 million viewers and X Factor is so popular. Everyone's a freaking moron.

Except Matt Stott, you may live.

Firefly was just dull. A kinda obvious idea that went no where.

Now Dr Horribles blog that was aces.

Anyway what are you doing here? Shouldn't you be touching up McGyvers fake tan?

Quote: sootyj @ September 4 2012, 7:40 PM BST

Firefly was just dull. A kinda obvious idea that went no where.

Went nowhere? It only lasted half a season. It didn't even get a chance to go anywhere. Despite that, it is held in incredibly high regard by those that know a thing or two about sci-fi, drama and characters. With Joss doing the dialogue, you cannot go wrong. Compare it to your upcoming space western episode of Doctor Who, then tell me it's kinda obvious.

Quote: sootyj @ September 4 2012, 7:40 PM BST

Shouldn't you be touching up McGyvers fake tan?

Shouldn't you be touching up John Barrowman?

Granted it had some trade mark Wheedon wit and style, not to mention the awsome Nathan Fillian. It just I dunno.

The film was better.

And Barrowman hasn't been in Who for ages (he was actually quite cool as the original Jack).

Any way SG1 was such a sweaty ball sack of a show, it had a character called talc.

Quote: sootyj @ September 4 2012, 7:54 PM BST

Any way SG1 was such a sweaty ball sack of a show, it had a character called talc.

Any show where the alien character says: 'I have heard of a place where humans do battle in Jell-O' is the bestest.

Any way they're all inferior to Walker Texas Ranger.

The Problem with Asylum and moffat's writing in general is what I was trying to allude to in my writing exercise post earlier. If you give Moffat a character who has one leg, he'll find some way of not using him or making the character bipedal again. He never works with what he's got and that's bad technique.

Given the character of the Daleks and their established convention of mind-controlling humanoids for slave labour, he introduces a new concept of 'nanoised' corpses with ridiculous head stalks. And seemingly mixing up the Daleks with the cybermen he introduces a ridiculous sequence of the new assistant being 'turned into a dalek' by shouting and neuro-linguistic programming and wearing Dalek hair curlers.

Asylum isn't really about the Daleks at all. You could easily replace them with the Cybermen. The point is a good writer doesn't just constantly invent things - even in SF - but uses what he has. The end result is more satisfying and powerful - and it it's not like the original Who material is limiting.

This is a good post.

Finally I feel safe to say.

Firefly was boring and Dolls House was boring and incomprehensible.

FIREFLY is the DB!

Nah it had it's moments.

Also the Wire is massively overrated.

Walker Texas Ranger. It's got time travel, wheel kicks, beards, 80s music and even God.

Quote: sootyj @ September 4 2012, 10:11 PM BST

Nah it had it's moments.

Shakes his head at a man listening to Mahler's fifth and saying he liked a bit of the melody!

Shakes his head at a man listening to a cat being kicked and declaring it Mahlers 6th symphony

Fourth is good too. The timeless debate :)

Hey Marc whats your favourite bridge?

Quote: Marc P @ September 4 2012, 10:17 PM BST

Fourth is good too. The timeless debate :)

It's rubbish!