British Comedy Guide

Doctor Who... Page 846

Quote: Godot Taxis @ September 3 2012, 2:01 PM BST

Assignment: create a simple and credible dramatic scenario out of the following situation:

Two men, a bag of loot and a gun.

WRITER A:
Two men have robbed a bank. One man is wounded. The wounded man has a gun but can't move without the aid of the able-bodied man. The able-bodied man can't carry the loot and the wounded man. He can't run off with the loot or the wounded man will shoot him. The police are on their way...

WRITER B: (Steven Moffat)

One man shoots the other man killing him. The bullet splinters in half also killing the man who fired the gun. As falls he sets off a grenade he had hidden in his pocket which blows up the bag of loot.

WRITER C: (Russell T. Davis)

The two men kiss, give the bag of loot to an Aids Charity and use the gun to shoot Godot Taxis in the penis.

BRANON BRAGA

One man uses the gun as an improvised tachyon disruptor
....300 pages of incomprehensible technobabble later.

Other man hugs first man and they laugh for no apparent reason.

Then the Borg turn up and go away and turn up and go away.

Repeat until madness sets in.

I think the Daleks were wheeled out because it's the build up season to the fiftieth year celebrations so they probably felt they had to do a Dalek episode. It did feel a bit token and perfunctory.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ September 3 2012, 1:06 PM BST

Blimey, can you imagine them putting something as gross as that in Who these days?!

No. There's some terrifying images from the Colin Baker era. And I'm not just talking about the scripts - I did a LOL!

Quote: Ben @ September 3 2012, 6:42 PM BST

No. There's some terrifying images from the Colin Baker era.

I think I once saw Griff wearing that.

Who's Griff? I remember a crack in the fabric of time and space...

So it seems Neil Gaiman may have an episode coming, either after Christmas, or in the next series. He's basically confirmed, whilst picking up an award for 'The Doctor's Wife', that he's writing one. There's a rumour he may be taking on a Cybermen story.

Poor ole Terrance Dicks, not being invited to write an episode. He'd soon set things right.

Quote: Kenneth @ September 3 2012, 9:28 PM BST

Poor ole Terrance Dicks, not being invited to write an episode. He'd soon set things right.

I doubt it. I'd be very surprised if he'd be up to snuff when it comes to modern telly. It would basically be an exercise in hopeful nostalgia to hand a man who, it seems, has barely written for TV in decades, an episode.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ September 3 2012, 9:33 PM BST

I doubt it. I'd be very surprised if he'd be up to snuff when it comes to modern telly. It would basically be an exercise in hopeful nostalgia to hand a man who, it seems, has barely written for TV in decades, an episode.

That's a very ageist speculation Matt, considering Dicks has continued to write Doctor Who in one form or another since the show was cancelled. All you really have to tell him is to write a normal episode and then add a scene where Rory is bummed by a gay Cyberman before everyone bursts into tears and hugs.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ September 3 2012, 9:40 PM BST

That's a very ageist speculation Matt, considering Dicks has continued to write Doctor Who in one form or another since the show was cancelled.

He's written a few books, and some video bits, hardly makes him suitable to toss an episode of a modern TV show at. Yes, if he'd kept his hand in properly, but he hasn't. It's pure nostalgic hope to imagine that this bloke would somehow show how it's really done.

Just watched the Asylum again.
Still thought it was good.
Loved the bit when Rory moved the Dalek top & it slowly span back.
And the Human Dalek reveal at the end was really handled well.

Even better than the last human Dalek with that American in a suit with one eye & a plate of spaghetti over his head.

I'll be happy if they keep to this style & quality for the rest of the run.
Or I'll be happy if the Angel one is good anyway.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ September 3 2012, 9:43 PM BST

It's pure nostalgic hope to imagine that this bloke would somehow show how it's really done.

It's pure nostalgic hope that keeps me watching the New Who. But I guess decent storytelling has no place in our modern TV digital age. Bit of a shame, but look, shiny things.

As both RTD and Moffat are lifelong fans, I can't believe that it hadn't crossed their minds, so there must have been a good reason stopping them. I mean, they've brought back people like director Graham Harper, responsible for some great classic who serials, but then he's still a working TV director, so it makes sense.