British Comedy Guide

Doctor Who... Page 839

Looks good but the last manhattan episode was a stinker.

That said the clips seem to show some serious money in the fx department.

Quote: chipolata @ August 29 2012, 10:11 AM BST

If the joy gets sucked out of the show by a few people criticising it then it's not much of a show to start with. Get a grip, zooo!

Yes, I should be forced to read a thread I don't enjoy. That's more sensible... :S

Quote: sootyj @ August 30 2012, 9:49 AM BST

Looks good but the last manhattan episode was a stinker.

True, but this one is written by Moffat, so more chance of it being a goodie.

Quote: zooo @ August 30 2012, 9:55 AM BST

Yes, I should be forced to read a thread I don't enjoy. That's more sensible... :S

You're a Global Moderator, zooo. Reading every thread is in your job description.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ August 30 2012, 9:58 AM BST

True, but this one is written by Moffat, so more chance of it being a goodie.

Since he took over, which ones has he written? Because I've a feeling his record of succesful episodes slumped once he took the big chair.

Quote: chipolata @ August 30 2012, 11:04 AM BST

You're a Global Moderator, zooo. Reading every thread is in your job description.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEf5VFKplzw

Quote: chipolata @ August 30 2012, 11:04 AM BST

Since he took over, which ones has he written? Because I've a feeling his record of succesful episodes slumped once he took the big chair.

First year he was very strong, the Opening Matt Smith ep is a beauty.

I loved the two Part Angel story (more than Blink even, which I know I'm in the minority on) And the final two parter, whether you thought it all made sense or not, was a whole heap of fun. I thought. His only iffy one was The Beast Below, with the city built on a space whale, but even that was a step up from bog standard Who.

Second year his record isn't as strong for me, he stuck to the heavy lifting, arc heavy stories, so they felt less like stand alone stories but chapters in a longer thing. So less satisfying in some way. Having said that, loved the opening two parter, in which he created another great monster. Let's Kill Hitler, on second viewing, was also a lot of fun. A Good Man Goes To War wasn't great for me, and I felt the series finale wasn't as strong as I'd hoped for.

One of the problems for me (of many) about the Moffat helmed Who, has been the handling of the Amy Pond character. She appears to be the most reluctant and whiny of all the companions, always having a moan whenever they go anywhere and do anything.

Conversely, when Rory was introduced and suggested she stop going on adventures with the Doctor, she moaned about that too. So either Amy is a twenty four complaining machine or her character doesn't make any sense. Neither choice is great for creating an identifiable protagonist.

This constant milking of her departure / death has desensitised the viewer. When she finally does fook off, all of the emotional impact will have been drained beforehand by lazy writing. Even in the trailer for the new series, we see the Doctor carrying her body in the first episode with the Daleks. This festival of cynically mawkish Pond finales, replete with sad music and blubbing Time Lords will thankfully come to an end at Christmas - miracles do happen!

If Moffat has any sense, he should give her character the big switch-a-roo for the last few episodes - make her less complainy, more fun and extremely enthusiastic to go on adventures with the Doctor (ie. turn her into Rose Tyler), then her termination would mean something to somebody.

Pond Scum is a little harsh RC, oh I see you have edited ;)

Quote: Marc P @ August 30 2012, 12:39 PM BST

Ponds cum is a little harsh

Then don't drink it you filthy boy.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ August 30 2012, 12:09 PM BST

One of the problems for me (of many) about the Moffat helmed Who, has been the handling of the Amy Pond character. She appears to be the most reluctant and whiny of all the companions, always having a moan whenever they go anywhere and do anything.

You must be watching a different show, I don't get that at all.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ August 30 2012, 12:09 PM BST

lazy writing.

Laughing out loud

I was thinking of what bugged me and came up with this anology.

Imagine if on The Enterpise; Scotty married Uhura. Sounds ok but then more and more of the episodes focussed on their marriage. Capt Kirk didn't land on planets because Uhura was on her monthlies. Then Uhura got pregnant and gave birth to Spock. Who went bonkers and wondered around the Enterprise giving people dead legs for no good reason. And then the Borg turned up for no aparent reason and left.

Quote: zooo @ August 28 2012, 4:50 PM BST

Ah, nearly time to start avoiding the 'sucking all the joy out of it' Dr Who thread for another series... ;)

Stop moaning. This thread contains some of the best writing on the BCG server. You should read it with pride.

And the last series of Doctor Who sucked the life out of life. It needed this thread.

I was hardly moaning, or even asking anyone to stop doing anything. Merely saying I'll be off this thread when the show starts. I don't know why that should bother anyone!

For me personally there is nothing more distracting than watching the show and not being able to help thinking this is the scene they'll all be saying was shit on the board later... Oh that was a good scene I'll have to remember that to mention on the thread when they all say the whole thing was crap from start to finish... It's totally distracting.

And yes OF COURSE that's my problem, not yours. And therefore it's my responsibility to avoid the thread to stop it happening. :)

The new posters are very cool, by the way. Forgot to comment earlier.

Just noticed this thread - as Who and Comedy are being mentioned here, thought it might be worth mentioning that I produce a sitcom about who fans over at www.comedypunkz.co.uk/fanz

Looking fwd to Saturday :)

Cheers
Stu

Quote: Matthew Stott @ August 30 2012, 1:02 PM BST

You must be watching a different show, I don't get that at all.

She's bloody miserable. Her younger self was miserable, her current self is miserable, her future self is miserable. Amy Pond is a massive downer devoid of joy and borderline apathetic.

It doesn't help that Gordon Brown has a more convincing smile.