British Comedy Guide

Doctor Who... Page 834

Quote: Matthew Stott @ August 2 2012, 3:44 PM BST

First of all, I'd disagree that they're all vastly superior in any of those aspects; secondly, they're not aimed at the same audience.

As I've seen them all and have seen New Who, I can categorically state they are all vastly superior in terms of characterisation, dialogue and plots. For one, the plots made sense, the characters were three dimensional with back stories and the dialogue wasn't designed just for little kiddy widdies to understand.

Doctor Who's remit that it must appeal to six year olds is a shocking indictment of how the BBC treats science fiction as a genre.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ August 2 2012, 3:50 PM BST

As I've seen them all and have seen New Who, I can categorically state they are all vastly superior in terms of characterisation, dialogue and plots.

I've seen them all too, and like them. And that is just your opinion.

Doctor Who's remit that it must appeal to six year olds is a shocking indictment of how the BBC treats science fiction as a genre.

It's just what Who is. It's what it was intially designed to be in 1963, and it's what it still is now.

As I've seen them all and have seen New Who, I can categorically state they are all vastly superior in terms of characterisation, dialogue and plots. For one, the plots made sense, the characters were three dimensional with back stories and the dialogue wasn't designed just for little kiddy widdies to understand.

Doctor Who was originally intended as a children's TV programme, and I'm pretty sure it has remained a children's TV show ever since.

Quote: Harridan @ August 2 2012, 3:52 PM BST

Doctor Who was originally intended as a children's TV programme, and I'm pretty sure it has remained a children's TV show ever since.

From bisexual Captain Jack to the Doctor stripping off to forcibly impregnating Amy Pond, yeah, the kid's show defence will only get you so far.

I could stomach all this fruity crap if the stories were well written and made sense. The recent episode where they were being chased by a minotaur in a space hotel prison run by an alien race that didn't like feelings with David Walliams as a jokey alien just about summed up what a pile of galactic wank this show has become.

the dialogue wasn't designed just for little kiddy widdies to understand.

Well, Moffat's introduced a fair amount of smut. I can't recall any from the classic show and I've seen most of it.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ August 2 2012, 3:58 PM BST

I could stomach all this fruity crap if the stories were well written and made sense. The recent episode where they were being chased by a minotaur in a space hotel prison run by an alien race that didn't like feelings with David Walliams as a jokey alien just about summed up what a pile of galactic wank this show has become.

I'm not sure you're going to need me in this thread any more.

I don't think the existence of bisexuality is actually a majorly big deal for kids. It's not the 1950s.

Quote: zooo @ August 2 2012, 4:08 PM BST

I don't think the existence of bisexuality is actually a majorly big deal for kids. It's not the 1950s.

In this week's Doctor Who - Tom Baker strips off, Sylvester McCoy shags Bonny Langford and Bill Pertwee enjoys a hot tongue sandwich with Davros - science fiction at it's finest! Only on the BBC.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ August 2 2012, 4:13 PM BST

In this week's Doctor Who - Tom Baker strips off, Sylvester McCoy shags Bonny Langford and Bill Pertwee enjoys a hot tongue sandwich with Davros - science fiction at it's finest! Only on the BBC.

There's our old friend absurdum again...

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ August 2 2012, 3:58 PM BST

what a pile of galactic wank this show has become.

It's not going to be the show YOU want. If you think it's wank, give up on it.

Who does seem one of those very few shows that can really get people fuming. I suppose it's because they used to love it, or desperately want to, but find they no longer gel with it. They think this childhood love has betrayed them. Or just think it's a pile of galactic wank.

Quote: Harridan @ August 2 2012, 3:52 PM BST

If only that were true.
It's like "Camelot" - they keep telling it's part of Great British 'Drama'.
:(

Nice pic, and I spy the Special Weaopns Dalek from the McCoy story!

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ August 2 2012, 12:53 PM BST

... shouting is acting, emotional fairytale bullshit that has plagued recent series ...

Top hole. No more new New Who for me. I do have a Pertwee-Brigadier audiobook called The Ghosts of N-Space but it has a silly comical Italian Yiddish sounding character - the Brigadier's uncle - that I've not managed to get past without my ears bleeding.

Quote: Harridan @ August 2 2012, 4:23 PM BST

There's our old friend absurdum again...

How is that absurd? I'm only applying retrograde analysis to a continuing series and extrapolating how these shows would have appeared under the guise of the current producers.

If I'd said - in this week's Doctor Who - Matt Smith does not openly flirt with his non-annoying companion, does not explain the entire plot in the last five minutes, does not use the sonic screwdriver as a deux ex machina and James Corden is violently killed by Daleks in an intelligent, well thought out and satisfying plot, then that would be absurdum.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ August 2 2012, 4:34 PM BST

it's because they used to love it, or desperately want to, but find they no longer gel with it.

Yep, just like modern music, I want to like and desperately do try, but it's just a pale shadowy imitation of the music that went before and comes off as bland, unimaginative and superficial.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ August 2 2012, 4:34 PM BST

Who does seem one of those very few shows that can really get people fuming. I suppose it's because they used to love it, or desperately want to, but find they no longer gel with it. They think this childhood love has betrayed them. Or just think it's a pile of galactic wank.

Just disappointment that the show has turned to shit. Or, as you so beautifully put it, galactic wank.

Quote: Kenneth @ August 2 2012, 6:34 PM BST

Just disappointment that the show has turned to shit.

In your opinion of course. Some people still enjoy it. :)