British Comedy Guide

Doctor Who... Page 802

He is quite English for an American.

Quote: zooo @ November 15 2011, 3:12 PM GMT

He is quite English for an American.

It would still feel wrong for me, like it felt wrong when he was in willy wonka too.

Doctor who is a British show with American fans, I fear Johnny Depps inclusion would likely be the first of many changes to make it an American movie with British fans.

Don't get me wrong, American shows with a set target audience can be some of the most amazing shows/movies ever, however movies aimed at the entire American public are usually some of the most dire things ever especially for fans of the books, comics or TV shows the movie has come from.

Anice BBC productions movie (Like In the Loop) would be the best move in my opinion, it would alow for the show to be talored to the fans who would spend to see it rather than just a blockbuster movie designed to drag the general public in and leaving the fans feeling short changed.

Edit: On re-reading I do come across a bit "EDL-y" at the start, but that isn't what I meant. :P

If these Hollywood hacks haven't got the imagination to think up an original idea for characters, why should we have any faith in them contributing anything to Dr Who.

But others might argue it could be great, stranger things have happened, but I'm at a loss to think what.

No doubt Patrick Stewart's agent is on the phone as we speak to see if any villians have been cast.

The Who geek in me doesn't like the fact that it sounds like the film would happen outside of the TV show, it would be its own thing, a 're-boot'; not 'cannon' in other words. So it would be Who, but not 'proper' Who, for want of a better word; no more than the Peter Cushing films are.

I'd obviously be interested in seeing a film, though.

Quote: youngian @ November 15 2011, 10:18 PM GMT

If these Hollywood hacks haven't got the imagination to think up an original idea

Yes what good films have those hollywood hacks ever come up with!

Quote: Matthew Stott @ November 15 2011, 10:29 PM GMT

The Who geek in me doesn't like the fact that it sounds like the film would happen outside of the TV show, it would be its own thing, a 're-boot'; not 'cannon' in other words. So it would be Who, but not 'proper' Who, for want of a better word; no more than the Peter Cushing films are.

I'd obviously be interested in seeing a film, though.

Matthew you would love to see a film as so would I, and this time you would diss it and I would defend it! :D well maybe not! lol

Can't David Tennant be in itttttttttttt?

Quote: Marc P @ November 15 2011, 10:48 PM GMT

Yes what good films have those hollywood hacks ever come up with!

I'm not saying there aren't great Sci FI films come out of Hollywood, but anyone with aspirations of 2001 or Silent Running would not be announcing a knock off of an already long established and confident format like Dr Who.

I think Dr Who is in sore need of a reboot.

And I know I am contradicting myself here, so sue me.

Ecclestone and some of Tenant's reign kind of it. But it lost it, Dr Who's always been a show molded by; BBC budgets, TV fashions etc etc

And after 40 years it doesn't know who or what it is.

As such an American reboot may encourage it to find it's self again or it may show the way, who knows? Certainly Life on Mars and Lost have shown what more innovative shows can do with time travel.

Quote: zooo @ November 15 2011, 11:02 PM GMT

What ala Sylvester McCoy in the other movie?

Ra ta ta tat!

Quote: zooo @ November 15 2011, 11:02 PM GMT

Are you regenerating or something?

Quote: youngian @ November 16 2011, 10:55 AM GMT

I'm not saying there aren't great Sci FI films come out of Hollywood, but anyone with aspirations of 2001 or Silent Running would not be announcing a knock off of an already long established and confident format like Dr Who.

What do you mean by knock off? Are you saying Tim Burton should never have done Batman for example?

I so would not call Dr Who confident at the moment or even for the last 20 or 30 years.

And good point Mark Pmeister!

Add to that James Bond, Superman, Ironman, Spiderman.

I'd say that both Batman and Ironman substantially improved the original product.

Quote: sootyj @ November 16 2011, 10:59 AM GMT

And after 40 years it doesn't know who or what it is.

(Closer to 50 Years)

I don't see any evidence that the TV show 'doesn't know what it is', rather some people aren't all that keen on what it is, as is always the way.

Because the first 10 years had great focus.

Hah Stott you fell right into my semantic trap!

Ha!

Are you saying it went downhill when Tom Baker became the Doctor, Sootyj?

I'm saying it lacked direction not the same thing as going down hill.

It was entertaining, but it lacked structure. Fine in the short term but not so good long term