British Comedy Guide

Doctor Who... Page 755

Quote: Badge @ June 5 2011, 8:27 PM BST

What are you watching next Saturday Matthew? Some of us need our weekly fix!

I think we should all agree on a classic story to watch, perhaps one from the mid-to-late eighties, that way we can all come on here and have a rumble about why it was good/shit and why McCoy was actually one of the best Doctor's ever/should be shot and his corpse raped/burnt.

Quote: Badge @ June 5 2011, 8:23 PM BST

And chew on this one as well. Why the hell does she call herself after a bad translation from someone else's language rather than by her real name?

Because if she was brought up by the forest folk she may think that is her name or it may simply the version she prefers.

Quote: sootyj @ June 5 2011, 8:31 PM BST

Because if she was brought up by the forest folk she may think that is her name or it may simply the version she prefers.

Melody is a bit of a rubbish name.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ June 5 2011, 8:30 PM BST

I think we should all agree on a classic story to watch, perhaps one from the mid-to-late eighties, that way we can all come on here and have a rumble about why it was good/shit and why McCoy was actually one of the best Doctor's ever/should be shot and his corpse raped/burnt.

:D
That's actually quite a good idea.

Quote: Badge @ June 5 2011, 8:23 PM BST

Surely even the translation should be River Tune as well.

As for the meeting in the wrong order thing, we've gone on about this at length. Suffice to say that you and many people seem to think it makes sense. I beg to differ.

Translations are never precise maybe they just prettied it up.

The wrong order idea is ace and it roughly works. It's way better than some of the other stupid ideas scifi chucks at us.

And Badge I believe you owe the BBC an apology, before I start calling you colonel runaway

Quote: Matthew Stott @ June 5 2011, 8:30 PM BST

Damn you Stott you've perverted me into a McCoy fan

Let's Kill Hitler is a great title but it'll do what Moffat always does: promise much and deliver little. He's had nearly 20 episodes in charge and has done nothing of note. There's no real evidence to suggest this will change anytime soon.

Chip I do have to ask you the question I would ask of any misanthrope.

What would you call a good episode?

There have quite clearly been some very good episodes since Moffat took over; and yes, some rubbish ones. Moffat himself has delivered a few crackers.

Quote: Badge @ June 5 2011, 8:33 PM BST

:D
That's actually quite a good idea.

Yes, I'm game too.

Quote: sootyj @ June 5 2011, 9:00 PM BST

Chip I do have to ask you the question I would ask of any misanthrope. What would you call a good episode?

Darlek. Blink. Basically the ones most people cite.

Of which certainly the Dr's wife is atleast as good.

Because they all work on the same alternate tension model.

I am surprised you don't recognise that?

I missed 'Darlek', but did enjoy 'Dalek'.

Quote: sootyj @ June 5 2011, 9:54 PM BST

the same alternate tension model.

Did you just invent that term and model?

Quote: sootyj @ June 5 2011, 9:54 PM BST

Of which certainly the Dr's wife is atleast as good. Because they all work on the same alternate tension model. I am surprised you don't recognise that?

I did enjoy it but as much as I've enjoyed you redefining the laws of drama to explain why it's great (and I genuinely have enjoyed those posts) I think that it coasted after the halfway mark.

Quote: Ben @ June 5 2011, 9:58 PM BST

Did you just invent that term and model?

There's a great story in the excelent On Writing by Stephen King. Where he describes listening to a disertation on Children of the Corn written by a brilliant graduate student.

About how it's a complex allegory for Vietnam, with the corn being the jungles of Vietnam.

He actually wrote it drunk off his ass for the money and put little thought into it.

But he accepted the student's version as some how being true.

Quote: chipolata @ June 5 2011, 10:00 PM BST

I did enjoy it but as much as I've enjoyed you redefining the laws of drama to explain why it's great (and I genuinely have enjoyed those posts) I think that it coasted after the halfway mark.

It simply works diferently.

It doesn't have the clockwork perfection of Blink. But it has a way more complex and engaging subtext.

Infact with Gaiman subtext is more important than central action.

Quote: Ben @ June 5 2011, 9:58 PM BST