British Comedy Guide

Doctor Who... Page 736

WHO knows! :)

Quote: chipolata @ May 24 2011, 9:12 PM BST

It's a show that can literally go anywhere and do anything.

So long as it's on Earth.

I couldn't read this thread at all yesterday. I see I missed some great posts. ;)

'Twas truly intellectual Chip. ;)

He's just sad cos he missed a bit of cotterging.

All hail Cotter.

(I understand now that is the correct response to the mention of The Name.)

Sometimes you can add the definite article.

Quote: Nogget @ May 24 2011, 8:29 PM BST

What gives Dr Who its enduring appeal?

So the reasons you all give revolve around the inherent flexibility of the show. Surely there's much more to it than that? Yes, the flexibility allows its inherent appeal to endure, but what gives it that appeal to start with?

Give me time Marc. I'm still learning the nuances which surround Him.

Quote: Nogget @ May 26 2011, 9:32 AM BST

So the reasons you all give revolve around the inherent flexibility of the show. Surely there's much more to it than that? Yes, the flexibility allows its inherent appeal to endure, but what gives it that appeal to start with?

It's inherent flexibility. I wouldn't try analysing it more than that.

Quote: Nogget @ May 26 2011, 9:32 AM BST

For me it's the character of the Doctor. When it's done properly he never does what you expect, doesn't need to resort to violence and either has a clever solution or (when it's done VERY well) arranges things so the baddies get hoist by their own petards, having ignored the Doctor's warnings to stop what they are doing.

That's partly why I liked the Ecclestone episode 'Dalek' so much - seeing the Doctor lose it and want to just smash something to pieces.

On the whole he is completely different from pretty much any other hero.

Same with Father's Day

Quote: Afinkawan @ May 27 2011, 1:17 PM BST

For me it's the character of the Doctor. When it's done properly he never does what you expect, doesn't need to resort to violence and either has a clever solution or (when it's done VERY well) arranges things so the baddies get hoist by their own petards, having ignored the Doctor's warnings to stop what they are doing. That's partly why I liked the Ecclestone episode 'Dalek' so much - seeing the Doctor lose it and want to just smash something to pieces. On the whole he is completely different from pretty much any other hero.

He's different largely due to the fact he's pretty much immortal and can zip about in time and space. I'm not sure his way of dealing with problems is that different from Fitz or Quincy's way.

Quote: chipolata @ May 27 2011, 1:29 PM BST

(...) and can zip about in time and space. (...)

But mostly Earth in the present or very near future.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ May 27 2011, 2:08 PM BST

But mostly Earth in the present or very near future.

You've done that line twice on the same page, mix it up a little! Jeez!