British Comedy Guide

Doctor Who... Page 579

Quote: Gagsy @ June 26 2010, 7:52 PM BST

Hmmm, that doesn't quite work for me... but I'll take your word for it! :S

That's what was said in the episode, the excuse the Doctor gave, I think.

When the episode started with them talking about stars and stars had never existed.. So how would they talk about stars!! I felt a bit glum; such a bad bit of plotting so early on.

But the episode improved and I did think it good overall.

The bit that let Amy know what was going on at the end of her 2000 year sleep, was a bit weak. "The Doctor put it in her head" ??? He should have dictated it to his screwdriver & let that brief her.

:D

Quote: Matthew Stott @ June 26 2010, 7:54 PM BST

Well, I'm only going by what was said in the episode, that's the excuse the Doctor gave, I think.

He did clarify that for the parent thing... In thinking about it now (after I asked the question of course) prehaps the daleks erased the memory of themselves when they visited young amy to scan her mind...

Maybe...

or something!

Quote: billwill @ June 26 2010, 7:55 PM BST

When the episode started with them talking about stars and stars had never existed.. So how would they talk about stars!! I felt a bit glum; such a bad bit of plotting so early on.

It seemed stars had always been in folklore and stories and things.

Quote: zooo @ June 26 2010, 8:01 PM BST

It seemed stars had always been in folklore and stories and things.

Like the Doctor was saying, some people would have a trace memory of things that they couldn't quite place. That's how the Doctor came back in the end, by implanting this memory in her as a sleeping child.

Overall I'm not sure what I made of it, very different in tone and style to the other new Who finales. I did enjoy it a lot, but I definitely need to give it another look.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ June 26 2010, 8:04 PM BST

Like the Doctor was saying, some people would have a trace memory of things that they couldn't quite place. That's how the Doctor came back in the end, by implanting this memory in her as a sleeping child.

Could be some interesting story opportunities there, if we meet other people/creatures that have brought back trace memories of mythical memories...

Quote: Matthew Stott @ June 26 2010, 8:04 PM BST

Overall I'm not sure what I made of it, very different in tone and style to the other new Who finales. I did enjoy it a lot, but I definitely need to give it another look.

Definately a lower key set up for the Christmas special than previously...

Quote: Gagsy @ June 26 2010, 8:05 PM BST

Could be some interesting story opportunities there, if we meet other people/creatures that have brought back trace memories of mythical memories...

I've lost my unicorn, has anyone seen it around?

:S

Still loose ends left over, a companion lasting more that one season.

Is he mad? ring back RTD ;)

I'm happy that Rory has tagged along again as a proper companion.

Quote: billwill @ June 26 2010, 8:07 PM BST

I've lost my unicorn, has anyone seen it around?

:S

Laughing out loud :P

Quote: Matthew Stott @ June 26 2010, 8:09 PM BST

I'm happy that Rory has tagged along again as a proper companion.

Ooooh, Theoretically, as he and Amy have strong trace memories of him being an Auton... he could possibly still be... (cue opening credits...)

It was quite brave for a last episode, don't you think? It left some answers for next year, had little in the way of monsters, or fights, it was extremely densly plotted so you had to pay full attention, no climactic confrontation with a big bad; it seems like quite a brave idea to put before an audience that was probably expecting something very different.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ June 26 2010, 2:22 PM BST

If you don't like what I write about the show you could always debate it with me rather than ignoring my posts completely which is what almost everyone in this thread does at the moment. Since I usually make a bit of effort to explain my criticisms humourously and I've been a site member for long time it seems a bit rude really. This is a discussion board after all. Anyway you managed to get me to not comment at all on last week's episode, so job done.

BTW Danny, there's an unread PM from me in your inbox apologising for saying you looked like an Ogron. It's been there for 14 days.

And do I get no credit for anally disecting how wrong you are?

This episode was full of good stuff; Auton immortal Rory (with the crikey did he die in a fire moment, cos he's plastic innit), the Fez, Riversong being ruthless and killing in cold blood, a plot that made sense, the death of the Fez, Amy's family being introduced in 2 minutes and not annoying.

This is aces. Anyone who disagrees is frankly Belgian and not the good kind.

Oh and they remember the stars because they're outside time no one else including the Dalek references them.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ June 26 2010, 8:35 PM BST

had little in the way of monsters, or fights,

But one broken Dalek aiming to kill them (and SPOILERING SPOILER) had way more menace then all those stupid Dalek empires.

In the same way that manky Cyberman did.

Have they finally learned?

Quote: Godot Taxis @ June 26 2010, 2:22 PM BST

If you don't like what I write about the show you could always debate it with me rather than ignoring my posts completely which is what almost everyone in this thread does at the moment. Since I usually make a bit of effort to explain my criticisms humourously and I've been a site member for long time it seems a bit rude really. This is a discussion board after all. Anyway you managed to get me to not comment at all on last week's episode, so job done.

BTW Danny, there's an unread PM from me in your inbox apologising for saying you looked like an Ogron. It's been there for 14 days.

I don't mind discussion and critism but often feel that it's not just 'here's why I didn't enjoy this episode' on this thread, which is perfectly valid it comes across as 'Here's why I didn't enjoy this episode and you shouldn't'. Peoples opionions are just that, their opinions and thus can't be wrong.

They can differ from your opinion, but doesn't make the wrong. I personally see no point in arguing why I enjoy something, if I enjoy it then that is enough, if other people didn't then equally as valid but doesn't make it wrong.

I don't agree with trying to force your opinion onto other people, or critism of other peoples opinion, but hey that's just me... I'm picky.

Mmm...

Okay, as zooo said, it was a lot of fun. A jaunty little romp that zipped along at a nice pace. Some nice stuff in it, including the fossilised dalek and the doctor deciding he was into fez's.

On the downside, they seemed to throw away the Pandorica. I loved the idea that the Doctor might be imprisoned in it for 2000 years! As it as it was he was only in there five minutes! I wanted him driven to the point of insanity, not let out in the time it takes to boil an egg.

I also didn't like the Doctor zipping about with with his big time glove. Felt a lazy get-out. Moffat had set up a nice idea in the previous episode, yet seemed only capable of getting out of it with a pretty daffy plot device. And talking of annoying loppholes, how come the Earth was able to stumble along for almost 2000 years?

On the subject of the pandorica, how the f**k was it suddenly able to fly? It was built as a prison, yet the Doctor was able to set it's controls for the heart of the Tardis! Whar??? And let's not even get into the fact the cracks were never fully explained.

Overall, there was a distinct lack of jeopardy to the whole thing. I never once felt anyone was in true danger or that it wouldn't be neatly resolved by the end. As Marc P alluded in a previous post, cosiness is never good in drama.

The cracks were caused by the Tardis exploding, rupturung the fabric of time, throughout time.