British Comedy Guide

Doctor Who... Page 545

:D

I recall in the few interviews that he did for it that he was fairly snotty about the programme, often referring to it specifically as a children's show.

I like him, but Ecclestone was always far too up himself for a show like Dr Who. Tennant and Smith fit it far more comfortably.

Quote: chipolata @ June 15 2010, 2:34 PM BST

I like him, but Ecclestone was always far too up himself for a show like Dr Who. Tennant and Smith fit it far more comfortably.

Ezzackly.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ June 15 2010, 2:30 PM BST

Maybe just the day to day slog of being in every scene almost for nine months was too much? He couldn't face two years of doing that? Or he wanted to cry when he realised he'd be appearing opposite farting aliens??

More to it than that here's the quote:

He said: "I was open-minded but I decided after my experience on the first series that I didn't want to do any more. I didn't enjoy the environment and the culture that we, the cast and crew, had to work in. I wasn't comfortable. I thought, 'If I stay in this job, I'm going to have to blind myself to certain things that I thought were wrong.'

The fact that everyone on the following series' seems to have had a whale of a time making it suggests it was something on his side that was making it not work, to me.

Well, he does come across as being a no nonsense man's man. Probably wouldn't have enjoyed all that, y'know...showbiz side.

Quote: john lucas 101 @ June 15 2010, 2:47 PM BST

Probably wouldn't have enjoyed all that, y'know...showbiz side.

You mean all the "musical theatre"?

Quote: Nogget @ June 15 2010, 2:51 PM BST

You mean all the "musical theatre"?

Yes, I think he might have objected to some of Russell's 'friends'.

Allegedly.

And he does make sure he mentions being 'open-minded'.

Silly old sod.

Noo I don't think that's it at all, seems he was taking a moral stance on something.

Perhaps he just thought that some of the scripts were shit.

Quote: zooo @ June 15 2010, 2:55 PM BST

And he does make sure he mentions being 'open-minded'.

Silly old sod.

Good to see you being open-minded about his possible reasons, zooo!

Quote: Marc P @ June 15 2010, 3:05 PM BST

Noo I don't think that's it at all, seems he was taking a moral stance on something.

I agree. I get the impression that he's talking about over-working the crews or perhaps fiddling the budget. He can't be afraid of a few sausage jockeys - he's an actor for Christsakes.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ June 15 2010, 3:17 PM BST

I agree. I get the impression that he's talking about over-working the crews or perhaps fiddling the budget. He can't be afraid of a few sausage jockeys - he's an actor for Christsakes.

Hm, plus he'd worked with RTD before, on Second Coming, and liked the experience enough to contact RTD to ask to be considered for New Who.