British Comedy Guide

Doctor Who... Page 511

Quote: chipolata @ June 5 2010, 7:51 PM BST

If you genuinely wanted to be radical with that story, you wouldn't have had any monster and it would have all been in Van Gogh's tortured mind. And when they took him forward in time that would have driven him over the edge into insanity and caused him to kill himself.

That would have been coooool.

The 'monster' could have been something darker and more foreboding in IMO, than a reptilian alien thing.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ June 5 2010, 7:52 PM BST

Oh, don't be silly. Yes, they're going to do a story about how The Doctor made Van Gigh kill himself.

They should.

Quote: chipolata @ June 5 2010, 7:51 PM BST

If you genuinely wanted to be radical with that story, you wouldn't have had any monster and it would have all been in Van Gogh's tortured mind. And when they took him forward in time that would have driven him over the edge into insanity and caused him to kill himself.

:D

They could've played him Vincent by Don McLean too, that would've sealed it.

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ June 5 2010, 7:53 PM BST

The 'monster' could have been something darker and more foreboding in IMO, than a reptilian alien thing.

I always quite liked those flying monsters in the first story about Rose and her dad.

Quote: chipolata @ June 5 2010, 7:54 PM BST

They should.

It might be interesting, but of course they wouldn't, it's a blooming mainstream family show!

Quote: Matthew Stott @ June 5 2010, 7:54 PM BST

It might be interesting, but of course they wouldn't, it's a blooming mainstream family show!

I think you can be darker and edgier without sacrificing a family audience.

Quote: chipolata @ June 5 2010, 7:56 PM BST

Now that would be dark.

Quote: chipolata @ June 5 2010, 7:56 PM BST

Not by having The Doctor cause Van Gogh's death, that would not be passed and shown. I just don't think it would.

Quote: zooo @ June 5 2010, 7:57 PM BST

Now that would be dark.

:D

I enjoyed the episode.
Although the Monster bit was almost incidental and it looked a bit like a Turkey.

Quote: Badge @ June 5 2010, 7:45 PM BST

Good grief. Worst. Episode. Ever. There was one very funny line but that was at the end with the if-you-have-been-affected-by-the-issues announcement. I nearly rang the damn number.

Well I liked it.

:D :D Cool

I LOVED this episode. I thought the actor playing Van Go, Goff, Gougghh, was brilliant. I thought the animation with the stars turning into the painting was beautiful.

I didn't like the invisible monster, and the easel floating in the air was a bit cringy, but overall this was my favourite of the series. Especially when they brought him forward in time. I cried at Nighy's monologue, it was deeply touching.

Quote: AngieBaby @ June 5 2010, 10:53 PM BST

I thought the animation with the stars turning into the painting was beautiful.

I did like that.

Quote: AngieBaby @ June 5 2010, 10:53 PM BST

I cried at Nighy's monologue, it was deeply touching.

Yes. Though it's exactly that sort of thing that will have many complaining.