British Comedy Guide

Doctor Who... Page 491

Quote: Godot Taxis @ May 29 2010, 1:17 PM BST

Don't forget the black Friar Tuck was also a martial arts expert. I don't know why they didn't go the whole hog and make him invisible. Even the actor who played him admitted he couldn't believe it when he read the script.

Granted the martial arts was rather more stupid than a black Tuck.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ May 29 2010, 1:43 PM BST

It happened because he wanted to get rid of the Time Lords. You, I, or anyone else may not like the conceit, but it's perfectly valid, I don't see what's so bad about it. Other than you don't like it.

I don't know why you keep trying to paint me as being out of step with fandom regarding the show. It is actually YOU who hold the minority view. Your favourite Doctor is Sylvester McCoy. You claimed a few posts back that some of his last stories were as good as the series has ever been. Hardly anyone believes this. His last shows are looked on as being green shoots amid the weeds, condoms and turds. An improvement to what went before, but coming when the show had sunk to its lowest ebb and was genuinely a laughing stock - even amongst fans. Nothing McCoy appeared in compares favourably with what went before Nathan Turner arrived in his clown car.

As Marc mentioned earlier Doctor Who is a bit like a listed building and you shouldn't f**k about with it, just cos you like novelty door knockers and stone-cladding. The conceit of the the Doctor being the last of his race serves no real purpose other than a cue for some choral music. It's not up to RTD to get rid of the timelords. Of course he has the power to do it, but that doesn't mean he has the right.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ May 29 2010, 2:08 PM BST

I don't know why you keep trying to paint me as being out of step with fandom regarding the show. It is actually YOU who hold the minority view.

I actually have not done that Godot, what I have said is MY opinion, just like yours is yours, I don't give a flying f**k about what most of 'fandom' says, I make up my own mind.

If I had been the one to bring the show back, I would have done many things differently, and a lot of things aren't to my taste, I don't think the show is in any way perfect.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ May 29 2010, 2:08 PM BST

Your favourite Doctor is Sylvester McCoy.

It's allowed, it's my opinion, you don't agree, who cares? You may think I'm an idiot without any critical faculties for thinking in such a way, so be it, I'll live with that. Of course growing upo with that era on TV comes into it, it was those eighties stories that made me a fan, because that's what was on, I didn't grow up watching Pertwee or Tom Baker, blame my parents for not popping me out a few years earlier.

I don't see my own opinion as any more 'right' than anyone elses, just right to me. You are perfectly free to think that I'm spouting drivel. As you clearly do and have pointed out again and again.

I agree with myself.

I'm usually in constant disagreement with myself.

Quote: sootyj @ May 29 2010, 2:02 PM BST

Granted the martial arts was rather more stupid than a black Tuck.

It would have made more sense if he had been a monk from the far east, Grasshopper!

Quote: Matthew Stott @ May 29 2010, 2:13 PM BST

It's allowed, it's my opinion, you don't agree, who cares?

I don't see my own opinion as any more 'right' than anyone elses, just right to me.

Stay true to yourself, Stottie.

Follow your heart.

And all your dreams will come true.

;)

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ May 29 2010, 5:58 PM BST

Stay true to yourself, Stottie.

Follow your heart.

And all your dreams will come true.

;)

I feel like I'm missing something here . . . :P

EDIT:

Wait . . . did you think by the 'who cares' I was shooting down his opinion or something? I was just saying it doesn't matter if he doesn't agree with me, it's okay to have two different opinions.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ May 29 2010, 5:59 PM BST

I feel like I'm missing something here . . . :P

EDIT:

Wait . . . did you think by the 'who cares' I was shooting down his opinion or something? I was just saying it doesn't matter if he doesn't agree with me, it's okay to have two different opinions.

No, just gently deriding the idea that all opinions are equally valid.

I have no horse in this particular race, mind. I can't really remember much about 80s Who. Just that an assistant had her head shaved and it scared the bejesus out of me. Oh, and that Ace made me feel funny.

It's hard work, this weeks Doctor Who. I'm flagging here.

The last 10 minutes were ace I thought, with Rory and all that. The rest was a bit flaggy though.

Quote: zooo @ May 29 2010, 7:51 PM BST

The last 10 minutes were ace I thought, with Rory and all that. The rest was a bit flaggy though.

Rory.... Rory who... I can't seem to remember a Rory...

I actually called him Ryan twice already, so... yeah.

Muuuuch better this week, it felt really tense the whole way through for me. And that end was great, Amy screaming as the Doctor pushed her into the Tardis. Poor old Rory, I can't help but imagine he'll be back though.

Looks like a CGI monster next week though; boooo!

Both the lady greenies were played by the same actress, weirdly.