British Comedy Guide

Ludwig Page 2

Quote: Aaron @ 27th September 2024, 10:06 PM

Or dyed, yes.

She said on The One Show that it was a wig

Quote: Chappers @ 27th September 2024, 10:07 PM

I recognised her nostrils.

Yes, and we all know what euphemism you are using there, you naughty boy

After reading the comments here, I felt compelled to watch the first episode.
The premise of an introverted puzzle solver imitating his missing brother and solving crimes by logic is unique.
So that's a good start.
Lots of cameo appearances also helps.
Funnily though, I watched it on BBC iPlayer and the second episode automatically started after the first.
I felt I didn't want to watch that just yet.

But great stuff.

I said from the outset the IT expert Holly Pinder (Sophie Willan) would play a significant part, and clearly she is suspicious that he is not who he claims to be

Karl Pilkington has finally surfaced! Hurray!

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 17th October 2024, 9:06 AM

After reading the comments here, I felt compelled to watch the first episode.
The premise of an introverted puzzle solver imitating his missing brother and solving crimes by logic is unique.
So that's a good start.
Lots of cameo appearances also helps.
Funnily though, I watched it on BBC iPlayer and the second episode automatically started after the first.
I felt I didn't want to watch that just yet.

But great stuff.

Be careful reading this thread if you're not up to date!
I'm only watching the eps one a week when they're on TV. I don't always like binge watching.

Quote: Lazzard @ 27th September 2024, 12:09 PM

I think you need to forgive an opening episode for dealing with the "Case of the Week' in a slightly perfunctory manner.
There's a lot of setting up of the character, the situation and backstory to get into 58 mins.
One would expect the proportion of time spent on the weeks' 'case' to increase.

Quoting myself - very bad form - just to slightly retract my statement.
Still enjoying it, but the "mystery of the week" element doesn't seem to be getting more time/complex - hence not as satisfying.

Quote: zooo @ 17th October 2024, 10:00 AM

Be careful reading this thread if you're not up to date!
I'm only watching the eps one a week when they're on TV. I don't always like binge watching.

Couldn't agree more - binge watching is a total anathema to me, and simply don't understand why people do it, and the TV channels don't help - "tune in next week or you can watch all the episodes now on i-player". And why do the Beeb do that? Because every one else does and it's "trendy".......Baa Baa

Quote: Lazzard @ 17th October 2024, 10:14 AM

........... but the "mystery of the week" element doesn't seem to be getting more time/complex - hence not as satisfying.

Nope, I think they have the balance just right, and enjoying IT Holly Pinder's (Sophie Willan) increasing suspicions and the will they/won't they simmering between Ludwig and his sister in law

Laughed out loud when he was trying to shut down his brother's computer when Holly Pinder stepped into his "room", because it can be like that when you press one wrong button and the PC goes into error mode, so he pulled the plug out from the wall socket

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 17th October 2024, 10:46 AM

Couldn't agree more - binge watching is a total anathema to me, and simply don't understand why people do it, and the TV channels don't help - "tune in next week or you can watch all the episodes now on i-player". And why do the Beeb do that? Because every one else does and it's "trendy".......Baa Baa

Not sure that particular genie can be put back in the bottle.
We use a sort of hybrid method.
We'll have a series of things on the go - ideally a variety of styles - then watch one of each a night.
So - for instance - recently it's been a Bad Monkey, then a Ludwig, Stewart Lee's Comedy Vehicle, maybe topped off with something silly - currently Viscious - with more 'complex' things being earlier in the running order in case one of us (my wife) drops off.
Stuff still being drip fed, like Slow Horses, or topical stiff (eg HIGEMNFY) slots in on the appropriate day or sometimes saved up
Best of both worlds,we think.

Luckily I only watch four new productions - all on different nights - so the question of "drip feeding" or "saving up" or the temptation to binge watch" doesn't really arise.

It's Only Connect on Mondays, Ludwig on Wednesdays, All Creatures Great & Small on Thursday and Have I Got News for You on Fridays, which neatly leaves Tuesday evenings free to watch any football that may be on and the weekends free to watch football again and racing.

I'm greatly enjoying the series, but it would be great if they could put more budget into the casting so the only 'star' face isn't the key/culprit.

Quote: Aaron @ 18th October 2024, 1:19 AM

I'm greatly enjoying the series, but it would be great if they could put more budget into the casting so the only 'star' face isn't the key/culprit.

Not sure what you mean/who - I can't fault it, apart from the young male, a drip who looks out of place and the young female with attitude who is slightly annoying

Quote: Aaron @ 18th October 2024, 1:19 AM

A lot of lower budget stuff is guilty of this.
I understand it in films, where a 'name' attracts a bigger budget - but TV??
Lazy casting, in general, is a bugbear of mine - the same old faces again and again.
The casting of Joanna Scanlan in Slow horse ticked me off, as she seems to be the go-to for bossy, officious, mumsy types.
You've got enough of a pull with Gary Oldman, Kristin Scott Thomas & Johnathon Pryce - you can afford to be brave with the rest of the cast - which, in the main, they have been.
So there.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 18th October 2024, 8:57 AM

................apart from the young male, a drip who looks out of place and the young female with attitude who is slightly annoying

Both of whom looks as though they've come from the local comprehensive on job experience

Great series. I've no problem with any of the casting.