British Comedy Guide

Time Bandits (1981) Page 2

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 21st September 2024, 11:29 PM

Oh I think it is a British film, what with George Harrison's Handmade Films being the Production company, Country of origin United Kingdom and written by
Michael Palin and Terry Gilliam

It's definitely a UK film, as is Jabberwocky and half of Baron Munchausen (the other half is German).

Quote: Chris Hallam @ 22nd September 2024, 5:48 AM

I watched it all.
Quite different from the film and I would say not really as good although it certainly has a charm all of its own. I doubt many people will bother much now though.

Watched ten minutes of it last night - didn't really catch the eyes.
Opted for Kaos instead - which is barmy.

I'm afraid Time Bandits doesn't classify as a comedy under our rules.

In order to remove any subjectivity, we determine 'comedy' as described by the broadcaster or distributor. In the case of Time Bandits, it was never publicised as a comedy, nor were words like 'humour', 'comic' or 'funny' used: it was only ever described as a 'fantasy'. Today official billings remain squarely along the lines of 'fantasy' and 'family adventure'.

Accordingly, it is not something we are able to cover at British Comedy Guide, no matter how funny any viewer may actually find it.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 21st September 2024, 8:46 AM

Both the IMDb and the BFI list it as a fantasy comedy

Quote: Aaron @ 22nd September 2024, 1:43 PM

In order to remove any subjectivity, we determine 'comedy' as described by the broadcaster or distributor. In the case of Time Bandits, it was never publicised as a comedy, nor were words like 'humour', 'comic' or 'funny' used: it was only ever described as a 'fantasy'. Today official billings remain squarely along the lines of 'fantasy' and 'family adventure'.

Accordingly, it is not something we are able to cover at British Comedy Guide, no matter how funny any viewer may actually find it.

Even though...............

Quote: Aaron @ 22nd September 2024, 1:43 PM

What, even though the IMDb and BFI class it as a comedy?

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 21st September 2024, 8:46 AM

Both the IMDb and the BFI list it as a fantasy comedy

By the way, this is a mess, because I have now lost my Edit button!

IMDb is woeful. The BFI is a good guide but original publicity materials are superior.

And there was me think the BFI was your bible 😏

Fair enough! No point arguing about it. The original trailer was quite funny though... https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=h27sUJtngq4

At the time it was released Terry Gilliam was trying to forge his own path seperate from Python, so it's possible the publicity material at the time emphasised the fantasy and adventure elements of the film, rather than the comedy aspects, which could have got it pigeonholed as just another Python movie.

Anyway, regardless of how the BCG categorises it, it's clearly a very funny film.

It can be two things.
Alien is a horror and a sci-fi.
American Werewolf in London is a horror and a comedy.
Time Bandits is a fantasy and a comedy.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 22nd September 2024, 2:38 PM

Edit button!

Didn't she write the Famous Five books?

They were the famous Fvie books before she turned up