British Comedy Guide

Funniest Joke of the Fringe 2024

So, what do my fellow reprobates and diabolists that populate this forum think of U&Dave's Funniest Joke of the Fringe 2024?

You can see the top 15 jokes here: https://www.comedy.co.uk/fringe/news/8010/joke-of-fringe-2024-won-by-mark-simmons/

The winner, by Mark Simmons, is:
"I was going to sail around the globe in the world's smallest ship but I bottled it."

I like that one!

My other favourite is from Olaf Falafel:
"My dad used to say to me 'Pints, gallons, litres' - which, I think, speaks volumes."

There are a few crap ones as well to balance it out...

I think the best one was the Their, their one.

11. I'm an extremely emotionally needy non-binary person: my pronouns are 'there there'. - Sarah Keyworth

Yes I thought a few of the gags were pretty decent this year

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ 19th August 2024, 11:16 PM

Yes I thought a few of the gags were pretty decent this year

Well when you think about it they are all supposedly comedians so their whole shows should be pretty decent. Otherwise they're taking money under false pretences.

I watched a scruffy busker singing 'Dreamer
I said 'that's Supertramp.
He told me to f**k off.

Quote: a plate @ 19th August 2024, 8:01 PM

My other favourite is from Olaf Falafel:
"My dad used to say to me 'Pints, gallons, litres' - which, I think, speaks volumes."

My favourite too.

I thought the winner was good. Often they're jokes that are not necessarily bad, but basically slight variations on very old puns (cf Zoo"keeper").

There are always lines in the top 10 that aren't gags, and look odd outside of the context of their hours. This year my friend Chelsea Birkby is in the top 10; hers is an excellent show, but that line, which fits perfectly into the flow onstage, looks very odd all naked and alone, and it isn't a joke in the same way as many of the others.

But, anyway, best winner for a good few years to my mind.

Quote: Lazzard @ 20th August 2024, 11:11 AM

My favourite too.

It's quite nice, but the joke-syntax obsessive in me is annoyed that "speak" and "say" aren't synonyms in this context. It's like the Mines of Moria all over again.

The problem with these things is that most comedians do complex observational routines so individual gags are bound to suffer from losing context and delivery. The other problem is that around half are always total and utter f**king shit.