British Comedy Guide

"Someone at the Door" (1950)

(Not the one shown on the BCG database)

Thought this was going to be yet another one of those early so called funny crime capers, but it turned out to be a very good film, which starred Micheal Medwin, and also for the first time (as far as I can remember) this first appearance together of the "round, bald moustachioed" Gerry Marsh and Campbell Singer, both of whom turn up regularly in British films of the period.

Gerry Marsh became quite well known as the father in the Just William films or played exasperated authority figures or comic villain, such as in George Formby films

And Campbell Singer, who I've always liked, who usually played an amicable police or army officer, and had many an appearance in 1970s sitcoms such as Dad's Army

Also had Danny Green in his usual heavy thug part (think one of the five in "The Ladykillers")

Anyway, this reminded me somewhat of the less funny "She'll Have To Go", which I reviewed back in March of this year, as it is a similar plot of two siblings (this time boy and girl) being left a stately pile which they cannot afford to run, and so Medwin, who is a small time reporter, comes up with the idea of pretending he has murdered his sister (who they keep in the secret cellar) and when she makes a miraculous reappearance he sells the story.

Unfortunately for them, a real murder is discovered over a jewellery heist, which turns up in the cellar and they find themselves with a bigger problem.

Maybe doesn't sound much, but I enjoyed it, with the added bonus of a twist at the end that I did not see coming.

7/10

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 5th August 2024, 10:33 AM

And Campbell Singer, who I've always liked, who usually played an amicable police or army officer, and had many an appearance in 1970s sitcoms such as Dad's Army

Always Mr Burroughs to me from the early BBC soap The Newcomers. Along with PC George Dixon's original wife/widow, Gladys Hanson, and the young siblings Wendy Richards & David Janson.