British Comedy Guide

General Election 2024 Page 40

I seem to remember a vote a few years ago which went a certain way by an irrefutable 51.89% to 48.11% following which many of the 48.11% demanded a re-vote (and indeed still do).

Quote: Chappers @ 8th July 2024, 10:17 AM

Well like I said before the 3 legged horse beat the 2 legged one. Most people wanted neither. Let's just hope they don't reverse too many democratic decisions such as Brexit.

The referendum was no more or less democratic than this election was.

I wasn't complaining, just pointing out a general observation that our political system often gives the winner a false sense of superiority, as one election day you're up and the next you could be down with the wild swings it often produces. It's a see saw between Tory & Labour. But it's still the best system for strong Governance of the country instead of a merry go round.

But if a party acts like it has full approval to do what it wants with less than half the popular vote, the larger half will remind them how many didn't vote for them, so in that way yes, the spectre of PR is exploited all the time by people whether they believe in it or not. Cake and eating, yum.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 8th July 2024, 10:36 AM

I seem to remember a vote a few years ago which went a certain way by an irrefutable 51.89% to 48.11% following which many of the 48.11% demanded a re-vote (and indeed still do).

Exactly the same with the Scottish Independence vote, with about the same figures. Some people only agree with democracy when they win.

This thread is exhausting, just an endless ding-dong battle between people who will never agree no matter what.

No it's not

😋

Quote: chipolata @ 8th July 2024, 11:41 AM

This thread is exhausting, just an endless ding-dong battle between people who will never agree no matter what.

I don't agree with that!
A consensus has emerged now. Labour won by a landslide. Misogyny is bad. The Tories screwed up. Reform are racist. We all pretty much agree!

Well there's one thing we can agree on:

Quote: Chris Hallam @ 8th July 2024, 12:18 PM

The Tories screwed up.

Braverman seems to be a favourite for leader

She will never win an election

Far too divisive

Quote: Chris Hallam @ 8th July 2024, 12:18 PM

I don't agree with that!
A consensus has emerged now. Labour won by a landslide. Misogyny is bad. The Tories screwed up. Reform are racist. We all pretty much agree!

A small consensus. And where is this misogyny?

Quote: Chappers @ 8th July 2024, 12:50 PM

A small consensus. And where is this misogyny?

SG's Angela Rayner posts (mostly attacking her appearance, gender and class etc)

Quote: chipolata @ 8th July 2024, 11:41 AM

Quote: lofthouse @ 8th July 2024, 12:15 PM

No it's not
😋

Well said - see Chips, even the most vehement haters of each other can agree 😆

Rumours some of Reforms candidates don't actually exist...

😗

Meanwhile the PopCons gather today for their inaugural Lose-A-Thon

Thank the Lord these weirdos are now a completely powerless joke

(About 20 people turned up)

Quote: lofthouse @ 9th July 2024, 10:47 AM

Meanwhile the PopCons gather today for their inaugural Lose-A-Thon

Thank the Lord these weirdos are now a completely powerless joke

(About 20 people turned up)

So without any viable opposition Labour will just do what they want and overturn everything. Hopefully they can't do anything abut Brexit though with all the ill-feeling around Europe for the EU.