British Comedy Guide

General Election 2024 Page 39

They've inherited a country in chaos and disorder where all the public services are a total shambles, we have just come out of recession and interest rates are still sky high due to Truss trashing the economy - so quite a lot I'm guessing

Still they've had two whole days in charge so your criticism is fair I guess ...

🙄

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 7th July 2024, 11:12 PM

No glory about it - they got in by default. Hardly a victory and nothing to crow about, is it.

I'm wondering now how many times Fozzie Starmer & Co are going to use the excuse of "what we've inherited" as an explanation as to why they can't fulfil their promises.

Nonsense!
Labour won a massive victory. They won three million more votes more than the Conservatives, a 10% greater vote share and an overall majority of 174 seats over all the other parties overall. No one ever wins by such a landslide victory purely by default. If people hadn't wanted a Labour Government, they would not have got one.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 7th July 2024, 8:27 AM

He gets his chance but it's really just another muppet show.
Maybe Kermit and Miss Piggy will do well - maybe not.

Too much misogyny in politics already. Give it a rest.

Sorry, you don't want anyone to comment if it's a woman? How chivalrous of you.

Quote: Chris Hallam @ 8th July 2024, 6:52 AM

Nonsense!
Labour won a massive victory. They won three million more votes more than the Conservatives, a 10% greater vote share and an overall majority of 174 seats over all the other parties overall. No one ever wins by such a landslide victory purely by default. If people hadn't wanted a Labour Government, they would not have got one.

But 66% people who voted didn't want one, so there is a strong element of winning by default. One party had to win and it was them, if the system was PR then they'd be negotiating with others to form a coalition govt.

It was a catastrophic Tory collapse, not a resounding vote for Labour. Usual Tory voters swung over to Reform and Libdems in huge numbers. Starmer's 33.7% of the votes was significantly less than Corbyn's 40.2% in 2017, hardly a searing endorsement of the new leader.

And it has to be said, without Farage's 11th hour stunt, the Tories would have won a lot more seats. The result due to FPTP flatters Labour hugely and they won't get anywhere near that number of seats next time if the Tories win back the Reform voters.

Quote: Chris Hallam @ 8th July 2024, 6:52 AM

Nonsense!

You really do talk out of your backside sometimes, and show up your ignorance of FACTS

Col. Nathan R. Jessep in 'A Few Good Men' summed it up perfectly for you "You Can't Handle the Truth!"

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 8th July 2024, 7:42 AM

But 66% people who voted didn't want one, so there is a strong element of winning by default. One party had to win and it was them, if the system was PR then they'd be negotiating with others to form a coalition govt.

It was a catastrophic Tory collapse, not a resounding vote for Labour. Usual Tory voters swung over to Reform and Libdems in huge numbers. Starmer's 33.7% of the votes was significantly less than Corbyn's 40.2% in 2017, hardly a searing endorsement of the new leader.

And it has to be said, without Farage's 11th hour stunt, the Tories would have won a lot more seats. The result due to FPTP flatters Labour hugely and they won't get anywhere near that number of seats next time if the Tories win back the Reform voters.

No party ever wins close to 50% of the vote in the UK. More than 56% of voters voted against Boris Johnson's Tories in 2019. Over 57% of people voted against Thatcher's Tories in 1983. Yet I've never heard anyone claim these results were anything other than large Tory wins.
Do you yourself actually support PR?.Did you vote for it in 2011?
The Tories were clearly heading for a heavy defeat even without Reform UK.

Yes the Tories were due a ritual humiliation but the fact remains that Starmer could only get 33% of the electorate to endorse him. That's about 10% less than new boy Tony Blair got in 97.

I don't think that's all his fault, as many are put off by the wokery their MPs and councilors portray but he did struggle in the debates with the already doomed Sunak, he's far from the slick performer Blair was, and govts are increasingly judged by their leaders.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 7th July 2024, 11:12 PM

No glory about it - they got in by default. Hardly a victory and nothing to crow about, is it.

I'm wondering now how many times Fozzie Starmer & Co are going to use the excuse of "what we've inherited" as an explanation as to why they can't fulfil their promises.

It's a massive majority which means Labour can get stuff done.
I'm cool with that.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 8th July 2024, 8:02 AM

You really do talk out of your backside sometimes, and show up your ignorance of FACTS

Col. Nathan R. Jessep in 'A Few Good Men' summed it up perfectly for you "You Can't Handle the Truth!"

You didn't bother to vote. You can't really complain about the outcome now.

Now you know Herc. Hallam tries to decide who can comment and about what. I bet there's a name for that.....

Quote: Chris Hallam @ 8th July 2024, 8:30 AM

Do you yourself actually support PR?.Did you vote for it in 2011?

No I voted against it. PR for all the fairness arguments which are understandable, is a disastrous system in use with most European countries. It constantly leads to coalitions who can't agree on anything then fall out and have constant re-elections as a result. It's ultra democratic but leads to weak govts where people complain that not much really changes even when it needs to.

I think it's one factor behind no other EU member yet having a referendum on staying in the EU, no single party has the power to push it like we did, despite strong voter support for it in a few countries.

Well like I said before the 3 legged horse beat the 2 legged one. Most people wanted neither. Let's just hope they don't reverse too many democratic decisions such as Brexit.

Quote: Lazzard @ 8th July 2024, 9:18 AM

I'm cool with that.

I'm eagerly awaiting gutless tories defecting to reform in the coming weeks and months too

Quote: Lazzard @ 8th July 2024, 9:18 AM

I'm cool with that.

And there, my friends is a classic case of a man living a false dawn

Quote: Chris Hallam @ 8th July 2024, 9:33 AM

You didn't bother to vote. You can't really complain about the outcome now.

Where did I complain about the result, which was clearly going to be a foregone conclusion?????? I wish you'd read other people's posts properly and your own especially before you come up with your knee-jerk reactions.

I don't give a flying f**k who is in power, because they are all money grabbing shits in it for themselves, who couldn't give a toss for Joe Public. Make as much dosh as they can on expenses etc. then hope with their arse licking to get a peerage so they can join the gravy train in the House of Turds and claim their £350 A DAY or whatever obscene figure it is now.

F**k the lot of them

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 8th July 2024, 9:58 AM

No I voted against it. PR for all the fairness arguments which are understandable, is a disastrous system in use with most European countries. It constantly leads to coalitions who can't agree on anything then fall out and have constant re-elections as a result. It's ultra democratic but leads to weak govts where people complain that not much really changes even when it needs to.

I think it's one factor behind no other EU member yet having a referendum on staying in the EU, no single party has the power to push it like we did, despite strong voter support for it in a few countries.

Fine! Perfectly valid viewpoint. No need to complain about the current system then. Under which Labour won by a landslide.