British Comedy Guide

General Election 2024 Page 31

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 30th June 2024, 8:16 AM

You might be surprised how well he does. People don't like dirty tricks being played.

Channel 4 exposing Reform candidates is hardly "dirty tricks."
Farage is the dirtiest of them all.

The right is finished in this country , for years

The mismanagement of this country for the last 14 years is breathtaking- everything is a broken mess and people can see this and wont forget

Total and abject failure and they will now pay the price

Good riddance

And Labours Covid corruption commission will soon be busy investigating some of these corrupt bastards and hopefully some of them will soon be up in front of judges

The Conservatives are finished - in their current form.
I don't think the Right is - just look over at parts of Europe,
Starmer's biggest challenge is to make life better for ordinary people, but with a horribly limited tool-kit.
To thrive, the Right/Nationalism/Populism/whatever needs two things.
People like Farage, Le Penn, Gert Wilders etc - and a large enough dissatisfied section of the populace that they can manipulate, via the usual methods, into putting them in power, which is the main thing they want.
That's why people like Trump and Farage are obsessed with telling us how many people turn up at their rallies.
So, without a significant improvement in the lot of the working class, and a narrowing of the very visible gap between rich and poor - the Right will always have a toe-hold and will always be able to point the disaffected in the direction of some 'enemy' or other (immigrants, the EU, woke-ness, benefits scroungers, LGBT, blah, blah, blah) and blame them (rather than feral capitalism, cronyism & people like Farage, ironically) for all their troubles
It's the same old story.

Quote: Lazzard @ 30th June 2024, 4:13 PM

The Conservatives are finished - in their current form.
I don't think the Right is

So, finally you agree with me that the present Conservative Party does not equate to "the right".

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 30th June 2024, 4:56 PM

So, finally you agree with me that the present Conservative Party does not equate to "the right".

Well, they certainly aren't on "the Left" are they?
If the Tories lose, the disastrous and very right-wing Liz Truss budget will be a major factor in their defeat.

Quote: Chris Hallam @ 30th June 2024, 7:52 PM

Well, they certainly aren't on "the Left" are they?

Really? Why do you think that so many of their departing MPs have fitted nicely - and been welcomed by - other centre-left parties.

As Lazzard concurs, the current (centre-left) Conservative party may be finished but "the right" isn't. And when the incoming centre-left party fails - as it inevitably will - the electorate will have only one direction in which to turn. The rest of Europe is ahead of us there.

PS "The very right wing Liz Truss" 🤣

Liz Truss is undoubtedly very right-wing.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 30th June 2024, 8:22 PM

Really? Why do you think that so many of their departing MPs have fitted nicely - and been welcomed by - other centre-left parties.

Because they are deserting a party which has become too right-wing for them for one closer to the centre.
If your argument were correct, the fact that many Labour MPs were happy to defect to the centrist SDP would prove prove that Michael Foot"s Labour must have been a very centrist party!

I will always be forever grateful to Boris Johnson

His outrageous, appalling behaviour as PM and subsequent removal in disgrace by his own colleagues, was the spark that set off a steady decent into the complete collapse of the Tory party as an electable force for years

It's about the only worthwhile achievement in his political life

His 80 seat majority will soon look like chicken feed come Thursday

Quote: Chris Hallam @ 30th June 2024, 8:50 PM

Because they are deserting a party which has become too right-wing for them for one closer to the centre.

The parliamentary Conservative party is its MPs. It is not some separate entity entirely divorced from its MPs.

Its MPs, as you rightly say, are "centre". Ipso facto the Conservative Party is "centre"

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 30th June 2024, 4:56 PM

I think 'the Right' has come to mean something a lttle more sinister than the Conservatives in the last few years.
I hesitated to use the word Far-Right as that tends to get people cross.
Though I personally believe elements of Reform deserve the title.

Elements of all parties deserve the title. This puritanical stance is laughable.

Puritanical?
You might have to explain yourself, SG.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 1st July 2024, 9:31 AM

Elements of all parties deserve the title. This puritanical stance is laughable.

What title? Right-wing? What's being puritanical got to do with anything? Not obvious what you're getting angry about

Tory student group held black-tie dinner two weeks ago where members sang German marching song used by the Nazis in WW2.

Warwick Uni Conservative Association sorry after dancing to "Erika" - used by SS and Wermacht and today white supremacists

Such lovely people...

It's perhaps fitting and expected that the Conservative party, in the face of defeat, are now , in desperation , behaving appallingly in their tactics against Labour

Fully in gutter politics now

Lies, lies and more outrageous lies and disgusting scare tactics

Absolutely classless vermin to the very end