British Comedy Guide

General Election 2024 Page 20

It's actually happened...

😳

Nigel Farage's Reform Party has overtaken the Conservatives in the polls for the first time

A Yougov survey for The Times finds that Reform has increased support by two points to 19%. Tories are on 18%.

The poll was carried out after Rishi Sunak launched the Tory manifesto on Tuesday

However eight in 10 of those backing Reform said a very large majority for Labour would be bad for the country

Lab: 37% (-1)
Reform: 19% (+2)
Con: 18% (nc)
Lib Dem: 14% (-1)
Green: 7 (-1)
SNP: 3 (+1)
Plaid: 1 (nc)
Other: 2 (+1)

Quote: chipolata @ 13th June 2024, 11:44 AM

All the leaders are a bit embarrassing. Starmer is ultra-processed to the point where spontaneity is beyond him. Sunak's endless attempts to look like a man of the people are excruciating. And Farage is a ghastly gurning ego on legs who doesn't understand the difference between nationalism and patriotism .... Lucky old Britain!

And then there's Ed Davey arsing about in the LAKE

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 13th June 2024, 7:31 AM

And Starmer laughed at for mentioning his father was a toolmaker again.

From about 40 seconds in, this clip shows him saying it on about 10 different occasions! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfVcSee902c

Imagine if Corbyn had said this - part 189

"One Jewish pupil recalls... Farage would sidle up to him and say, 'Hitler was right' or 'Gas 'em all'"

- p31, Michael Crick's biography of Nigel Farage

Oh no, a kid said something horrible to another kid in school. I must warn my grandchildren to be nice or 60 years later someone might use it against them.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 14th June 2024, 4:19 PM

Oh no, a kid said something horrible to another kid in school. I must warn my grandchildren to be nice or 60 years later someone might use it against them.

And while you are at it - dream up some syndrome that you can give pointless initials to

Quote: lofthouse @ 14th June 2024, 10:24 AM

"One Jewish pupil recalls... Farage would sidle up to him and say, 'Hitler was right' or 'Gas 'em all'"

Today that would be unforgivable but years ago at school it wouldn't have raised an eyebrow among most of the non-Jewish pupils.

People used to call me the Fat Owl at school.

Me too

But I didn't give a hoot

Quote: Julia Caesar @ 14th June 2024, 4:57 PM

Today that would be unforgivable but years ago at school it wouldn't have raised an eyebrow among most of the non-Jewish pupils.

That wasn't my point though

If someone publishes Corbyns autobiography and it said something like that - it would be in big fat capital letters all over the front page of Daily Express, Daily Mail etc

Farage though?

Nah, doesn't get a solitary mention

(I don't like Corbyn, I'm pointing out the hypocrisy)

Anyway, I love the fact that Nige is not only going to help with reducing the tories to a few dozen seats, he is also helping to potentially make the Uber Remainers and ultra pro-EU Lib Dems into second place 😝🤣😋👌

Oh the sweet irony!

Quote: lofthouse @ 14th June 2024, 5:42 PM

Nah, doesn't get a solitary mention

Must have got a mention somewhere for you to be able to quote it. Or are you currently enjoying Nigel Farage's biography yourself?

Quote: lofthouse @ 13th June 2024, 9:05 PM

Lab: 37% (-1)
Reform: 19% (+2)
Con: 18% (nc)

So they're neck & neck then. Wet & Dry Tories 37% - New Again Labour 37%. We're heading for another coalition.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 14th June 2024, 6:05 PM

Must have got a mention somewhere for you to be able to quote it. Or are you currently enjoying Nigel Farage's biography yourself?

I've read that book! Reading a biography of someone doesn't mean you have to be a fan.

A terrible thing to say in any school since 1945.

You should've been at school in the '70s & 80s Chris. Racism wasn't a crime then, it was everywhere, and I can tell you a lot of it was not meant or taken in offence, but in a sort of jokey matey way. Some teachers said things freely that would be deleted or bleeped on TV now.

One favourite saying of a couple of teachers I remember was 'Play the white man' which would get a teacher sacked today. Unfortunately, some frosty academics failed to see the humorous and bantery context that much of it was said in, and the uber crime Racism!!! was born.

Or even the teachers.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 16th June 2024, 11:08 AM

You should've been at school in the '70s & 80s Chris. Racism wasn't a crime then, it was everywhere, and I can tell you a lot of it was not meant or taken in offence, but in a sort of jokey matey way. Some teachers said things freely that would be deleted or bleeped on TV now.

One favourite saying of a couple of teachers I remember was 'Play the white man' which would get a teacher sacked today. Unfortunately, some frosty academics failed to see the humorous and bantery context that much of it was said in, and the uber crime Racism!!! was born.

Or even the teachers.

Yeah I was a kid in the 70's and 80's too

It was great

You could call the black kids a "black ba****rd" and it was just good banter - they didn't mind a bit

It was just said in a matey jokey way!!

I regularly called an Indian girl in my class a 'f**kin p*ki"

It wasn't RACISM , it was matey banter, just a joke - she knew that (I think??)

Oh how we laughed!

Them were the days....

Of course they've spoiled all that now

Shame

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 16th June 2024, 9:29 AM

So they're neck & neck then. Wet & Dry Tories 37% - New Again Labour 37%. We're heading for another coalition.

Not even close

Even if the reform party did a deal with the tories (over my dead body - Richard Tice) - those figures suggest Reform would get maybe 3 actual seats

Meaning that in the very very remote possibility of a hung parliament- the tories would be by far the smallest party compared to Labour and reforms 3 seats would be no help whatsoever

Because they are 'neck and neck' percentage wise doesn't mean they will get the same seats! The first past the post system doesn't work that way!

Labour is in course for a majority- the only question remaining is how big

According to Electoral Calculus , the poll you were referring too would result in for 462 seats for Labour, 68 seats for the tories and 4 for reform

You clearly don't understand FPTP