British Comedy Guide

General Election 2024

Did anyone see Sunak's speech in the pouring rain? Somebody was trying to drown him out with I think "Things can only get better".

I think we all agree it's time for a change but Starmer is not the answer.

Quote: Chappers @ 22nd May 2024, 5:53 PM

I think we all agree it's time for a change but Starmer is not the answer.

Nor is a general election. We need stability - not a change of government every few years. Nor do we need the inevitable confrontation that goes with it (see the I read the News Oh Boy thread). Coup d'état anyone?

Eh

The current government is 14 years old

As for stability- that 14 years had seen five prime ministers??

It is most certainly time to boot out a party that is more obsessed with itself and it's own never ending soap opera of infighting

There will be no stability under this regime

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 22nd May 2024, 6:11 PM

Nor is a general election. We need stability - not a change of government every few years. Nor do we need the inevitable confrontation that goes with it (see the I read the News Oh Boy thread). Coup d'état anyone?

Well it's been a long time since a change. I think we need to get some promises from the lesser parties.

And Billy I won't read the "I read the news today" thread again.

Quote: lofthouse @ 22nd May 2024, 6:46 PM

The current government is 14 years old

But there will have been five general elections over those 14 years (and a bit)

Quote: lofthouse @ 22nd May 2024, 6:46 PM

Eh

As for stability- that 14 years had seen five prime ministers??

There will be no stability under this regime

My point exactly! Thanks for your support. If you can find anyone else to join up...

Quote: Chappers @ 22nd May 2024, 6:46 PM

And Billy I won't read the "I read the news today" thread again.

Again, exactly! Suddenly everyone's agreeing with me.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 22nd May 2024, 6:11 PM

I don't think someone attempting a coup is likely to increase stability!
The government is exhausted after fourteen dismal years in office. The party in power has only changed three times in the last 49 years.
The people are crying out for change and new leadership.
Labour are the only credible option currently.

Quote: Chris Hallam @ 22nd May 2024, 8:24 PM

The government is exhausted after fourteen dismal years in office. The party in power has only changed three times in the last 49 years.

But that's the point. After another 14 dismal years, we will be back where we are today; whatever policies have been reversed will be "un-reversed" and there we go all over again. We need a government that will focus on the long-term for what benefits best the country rather than focusing on the next five years and then providing unsustainable sops in an attempt to stay in power. And I wasn't advocating someone attempting a coup. I was envisaging them succeeding.

I wouldn't call them a credible option. Look what they've done to London.

The voters of London clearly disagree after voting for a Labour mayor a record three times

FFS That's the TV schedules all out the window, red, blue and yellow pamphlets stuffed through the door, wankers knocking on the door, for the next six weeks. I wish they'd all f**k off, the load of wasters - the worse ones being the political pundits like the little tit Peston etc. God, they are boring people

I'll put you down as a dont know then ?

This was a silly thing to write. There are lots of credible alternatives available.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 22nd May 2024, 10:03 PM

But that's the point. After another 14 dismal years, we will be back where we are today; whatever policies have been reversed will be "un-reversed" and there we go all over again. We need a government that will focus on the long-term for what benefits best the country rather than focusing on the next five years and then providing unsustainable sops in an attempt to stay in power. And I wasn't advocating someone attempting a coup. I was envisaging them succeeding.

When has any government reversed everything the previous government did? Thatcher didn't do that, nor did Blair or Cameron. That isn't the problem.
Trump and Putin clearly share your dislike for democracy.
But dictatorship isn't the answer.

Quote: lofthouse @ 22nd May 2024, 10:37 PM

The voters of London clearly disagree after voting for a Labour mayor a record three times

Well, 18% of Londoners eligible to vote voted for a Labour mayor. 82% didn't.

Quote: lofthouse @ 22nd May 2024, 11:19 PM

I'll put you down as a dont know then ?

Don't know? I know alright. More like couldn't give a f**k - our ballot cards go straight in the shredder after they've dropped through the letter-box.

Still, one good thing to come out of all of this shit for the next 6 weeks (Jeez 🤪) is I'll be able to catch up on my DVD watching.

Quote: Chris Hallam @ 23rd May 2024, 5:42 AM

When has any government reversed everything the previous government did? Thatcher didn't do that, nor did Blair or Cameron.

Have you never heard of hyperbole?

Quote: Chris Hallam @ 23rd May 2024, 5:42 AM

But dictatorship isn't the answer.

Ok then. Let's settle for an absolute monarchy.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 22nd May 2024, 10:55 PM

FFS That's the TV schedules all out the window, red, blue and yellow pamphlets stuffed through the door, wankers knocking on the door, for the next six weeks. I wish they'd all f**k off, the load of wasters - the worse ones being the political pundits like the little tit Peston etc. God, they are boring people

It's all a load of miscellaneous rubbish