British Comedy Guide

The Complete And Utter History Of Britain

Thought lost for more than 50 years, all six broadcast episodes of Michael Palin and Terry Jones's The Complete And Utter History Of Britain have been discovered.

Buried, miscatalogued, in ITV's archives for the whole time, the pre-Python series has been restored and is available to watch on ITVX's Premium section.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/complete_utter_history_britain/

I've a real soft spot for the series: it's not quite unmitigated hysterical brilliance, but hugely entertaining and an extremely important missing link in comedy history. It was in the immediate aftermath of the series' broadcast that the Python troupe was formed, with Flying Circus debuting less than 9 months later (the very same year, 1969).

There's a good argument that this recovery is the most important find in TV so far this century.

An amazing discovery.
A bit of a mixed bag in practice from what I've seen so far. Terry Jones and Michael Palin's performances are predictably great, though some of the other players are less strong.
Very much the Horrible Histories of its day though and great to see it's available in full at all, at this stage.

Quote: Chris Hallam @ 6th October 2023, 6:49 AM

An amazing discovery.
A bit of a mixed bag in practice from what I've seen so far. Terry Jones and Michael Palin's performances are predictably great, though some of the other players are less strong.
Very much the Horrible Histories of its day though and great to see it's available in full at all, at this stage.

I'll have to try that. I do remember Do Not Adjust Your Set which included Palin, Jones and Idle (I think).

Quote: Chappers @ 6th October 2023, 6:05 PM

I'll have to try that. I do remember Do Not Adjust Your Set which included Palin, Jones and Idle (I think).

Correct! And David Jason.
Some episodes available on Britbox too.

Quote: Chappers @ 6th October 2023, 6:05 PM

Have the box-set somewhere