British Comedy Guide

Schitt's Creek

I thought there was a thread for this already, but couldn't find it - apologies Admin, if duplicating.

Anyway, fought shy of this one to start with (terrible title, slightly overwrought opening episode) but have now come to really enjoy it.
A proper SitCom that the 'Od Schooler's' should love.
Catherine O'Hara's costumes alone are worth the watch.
In fact, her character is the lynchpin of the whole thing.

It's flipping brilliant. I'm watching it all again on Dave.

Fantastic show with a big heart. For me the children make it, especially the son.

Every character is completely perfect, but David is my favourite.
The mayor is sometimes too stupid and annoying, but I wouldn't want to replace even him.

The mayor is a bit annoying, but his wife is a good character.

I've only just realised he also played cameraman Larry in Groundhog day. :O

This is like when I found out Moira Rose was the mum in Home Alone.

And 'Woogie' in Something about Mary

Oh god. Yeah I think he has cornered the market on being gross and/or annoying in 90% of his roles. (But I did like him in Groundhog Day.)

Is this worth watching, a friend of mine watched it and said it was terrible.

I'm sorry to inform you that your friend has no taste.
Give it a couple of episodes, I think you'll be glad you did.

Quote: zooo @ 15th August 2023, 11:41 AM

I'm sorry to inform you that your friend has no taste.
Give it a couple of episodes, I think you'll be glad you did.

I might watch it, but I'm not a great fan of american sitcoms.

Well it's not a sitcom along the lines of Friends or Everybody Loves Raymond or anything. I'm not sure what to compare it to actually.

Quote: zooo @ 15th August 2023, 12:14 PM

Well it's not a sitcom along the lines of Friends or Everybody Loves Raymond or anything. I'm not sure what to compare it to actually.

Well that does sound intriguing, its the aforementioned Friends that I completely hate and has put me off american sitcoms for life.

I may give Schitt's Creek a chance then.

For a US show, Schitt's Creek is about the closest to a Brits idea of sitcom I can think of.
OTT Characters, daft plots, bonkers premise.
Lots of laughs.
I think you'll like it.

Quote: JJlovescomedy @ 15th August 2023, 1:51 PM

Well that does sound intriguing, its the aforementioned Friends that I completely hate and has put me off american sitcoms for life.

I may give Schitt's Creek a chance then.

The definition of sleeper hit and easily one of the most amazing tv shows I've ever seen. I found this show surfing through the Netflix catalogue about 3 years ago, and I was hooked immediately!! Mate, This show got me through the bloody pandemic!

Wonderfully written with brilliant characters, this comedy also has just the right amount of emotion. The only problem now is I'm extremely sad to see it end! Give it a watch, you won't regret it.