British Comedy Guide

Music hall and variety Page 6

Quote: Firkin @ 10th September 2023, 5:01 PM

You're a true gentleman Billy.

I trained under Terry-Thomas.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 10th September 2023, 4:32 PM

She was the partner of Muffin from 1946 until her death in 1955 and wrote the songs and music, including the theme song. Her last TV appearance was on 2 January 1955 and she died in hospital on 10 January. She had been a life member of the Vegan Society and an advocate of the humane treatment of animals.

Have very fond memories of watching her with Muffin, on a neighbours TV, and The Woodentops with Spotty the Dog. 😀

Dying in Eastbourne on this day (11 September) in 1951, Ronald Frankau (born 22 February 1894) had a reputation as the "naughtiest comedian of the 1930s". Here he sings Everyone's Got Sex Appeal for Someone, which, unsurprisingly, never made it on to the 1933 airwaves:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpzICd4a5XM

And here he teams up with Tommy Handley (of ITMA fame) to perform as the double act Murgatroyd and Winterbottom and sing their version of the ever-popular Quartermaster's Store:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0knM6-8PKI

With his experiences in the first world war behind him and his grandfather being a German Jew who had left his home country for England, Frankau threw himself into satirical anti-fascist propaganda from the 1930s. He published a book titled He's A Perfect Little Gentleman, the Swine, depicting Hitler as a pig, in 1940, having recorded Heil Hitler Ja! Ja! Ja! the previous year:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMxL3bb92F4

He appeared in several films including Radio Parade of 1935 and The Ghosts of Berkeley Square in 1947. Interestingly he was married to Renee Roberts (Miss Gatsby of Fawlty Towers) and their daughter, Rosemary, was Beattie to Tim Barrett's Malcolm in 24 episodes of Terry and June.

Also, in "Radio Parade of 1935", and one of my favourites with her original version of "Why am I Always the Bridesmaid" - Lily Morris, and here is rare footage of her performing same.

I love her "losing it" around half way through and her comical dance at the end.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 11th September 2023, 12:59 PM

He appeared in several films including Radio Parade of 1935 and The Ghosts of Berkeley Square in 1947. Interestingly he was married to Renee Roberts (Miss Gatsby of Fawlty Towers) and their daughter, Rosemary, was Beattie to Tim Barrett's Malcolm in 24 episodes of Terry and June.

And Rosemary's son? Peep Show co-creator Sam Bain.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 11th September 2023, 3:24 PM

Also, in "Radio Parade of 1935", and one of my favourites with her original version of "Why am I Always the Bridesmaid" - Lily Morris, and here is rare footage of her performing same.

I love her "losing it" around half way through and her comical dance at the end.

Yes I missed it when it was on TPTV a few months ago. I'm hoping it will have another showing ere long.

Quote: Aaron @ 11th September 2023, 5:32 PM

It's like a jigsaw puzzle, fitting together all the different pieces to get the complete picture.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 11th September 2023, 6:05 PM

Yes I missed it when it was on TPTV a few months ago. I'm hoping it will have another showing ere long.

Invest in the Blu-ray: https://www.comedy.co.uk/film/radio_parade_of_1935/shop/6837/radio-parade-of-1935/

Quote: Aaron @ 11th September 2023, 6:32 PM

Invest in the Blu-ray: https://www.comedy.co.uk/film/radio_parade_of_1935/shop/6837/radio-parade-of-1935/

Don't have a blu-ray player but, yes, Il have considered getting the DVD but at £5.16 plus postage I thought it would be prudent to give it a chance to be re-shown on tv (as they invariably are} before I pay out.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 11th September 2023, 7:07 PM

Don't have a blu-ray player but, yes, Il have considered getting the DVD but at £5.16 plus postage I thought it would be prudent to give it a chance to be re-shown on tv (as they invariably are} before I pay out.

If I see it coming up (Sat. morning is my set the TV schedule time, with the TV guide and digi-box menu as the guide doesn't show the ones on in the early hours of the morning) I'll let you know

Here's another one of Lily Morris, with a "standard" of its day..................

BCG's schedules for TPTV run a month in advance and I'm afraid it's not currently lined up.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 11th September 2023, 7:07 PM

Don't have a blu-ray player

I think it worth the investment. The increase in picture quality on some films is absolutely stunning. It opens them up to being enjoyed afresh, as if you've never seen them before, and in whole new ways. My breath is regularly taken away by the quality of modern restorations.

Quote: Aaron @ 11th September 2023, 5:32 PM

And have just been advised that another of Ronald's grandsons (by his first marriage), Nicholas Frankau, was Flying Officer Carstairs in 'allo 'allo.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 12th September 2023, 9:27 AM

Here's another one of Lily Morris, with a "standard" of its day..................

Yes, enjoyed that. Thanks for posting it.

She merits a chapter to herself in Robert Ross's previously mentioned book, Forgotten Heroes of Comedy. And I see there is a CD of her repertoire:

https://amzn.to/3Rl8Nhw

although it's not the same as watching her perform of course.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 12th September 2023, 2:37 PM

Yes, enjoyed that. Thanks for posting it.

😊

although it's not the same as watching her perform of course.

As with "Why am I Always the Bridesmaid" - her little dance at the end is hysterical. The inter-war audiences must have been spellbound to see a no spring chicken woman, carrying a bit of weight, flailing her legs about like that.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 11th September 2023, 11:11 PM

If I see it coming up (Sat. morning is my set the TV schedule time, with the TV guide and digi-box menu as the guide doesn't show the ones on in the early hours of the morning) I'll let you know

Quote: Aaron @ 12th September 2023, 1:23 PM

BCG's schedules for TPTV run a month in advance and I'm afraid it's not currently lined up.

Thanks both. I have tonight splashed out and purchased the DVD off eBay from Music Magpie for £4.14 and free postage.