British Comedy Guide

Horse racing Page 3

Billy B wins the 3:15 Beverley!

The best horse racing week of the year (bar none) begins tomorrow at Ascot. The first race, as is traditional, is the Queen Anne Stakes. Which sends my mind back to 50 years ago with the running of the 1974 renewal. Unusually (to put it mildly) the first three home were all disqualified and the race awarded to the 4th placed horse. I know, as Max Boyce might have said, 'cos I was there.

In a tight, rough finish, first past the post was the appropriately named Confusion, ridden by Greville Starkey, who beat Gloss, ridden by Pat Eddery, by a head with Royal Prerogative, ridden by Australian Mick Goreham, a further three-quarters of a length back in third place. The stewards judged that all three horses had caused interference, of one form or another, in the closing stages and the race was awarded to 4th placed Brook, ridden by Brian Taylor.

Until recently, passed there most days to work, (no I haven't retired 😠) and oddly have never seen a single horse around there, even on Royal Ascot weeks, hundreds of cars and hats but no horse. As you pass the carparks you see loads of picnic tables topped with bottles of shampers so to me it's just looked like a big party for poshos like at Henley. So I was a bit surprised to see there are horses there in your video. I bet they don't have such a good time.

T'other day I noticed Ascot was on TV so browsed Sky Bet and saw they were having a promotion on the next race.
'Bet up to £10 and your money back as cash if it loses'
They were going in the stalls, so no time to study form - a quick tenner on the favourite, with no risk.
It won and £43 was credited to my account.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 20th June 2024, 7:06 AM

Until recently, passed there most days to work, (no I haven't retired 😠) and oddly have never seen a single horse around there, even on Royal Ascot weeks,

If you want to see horses at Ascot you really need to be inside the racecourse. Not passing. If you want to see racehorses otherwise you should go to somewhere like Lambourn, Newmarket or Epsom early in the morning and watch them go through their paces.

Whereas at Pontefract racecourse they run for half a mile at the side of the main road.
I once stood there with my dog and he barked at them as they thundered past. All the jockeys looked around at him.

Yes, well a bit nearer Alf's neck of the woods, you can watch the racing from the roadside at Brighton & Epsom. But not from Ascot High Street.

Liz Truss at Goodwood today. With James & Fitri Hay.

Ah good, and who was riding her?

It's the Grey Horse Handicap 2.05 Newmarket today (on ITV). Always a good spectacle.

Racist of course but a good spectacle.

Racist? Neigh!

sorry, couldn't resist it.......I'll get me coat

🙂

At least it can't be called ageist.

Any tips today from you clever punters on here for my ITV picks?

You missed mine. It was a belter.

Unfortunately I couldn't get home in time to place a bet, as I'd intended and I don't have the password on my mobile for betting. 28/1 though, great tip.

My sources come from Equine pools. Eh? lol.
I have to be vague, but I've had contracts for years to repair and service industrial gas burners.
These pools are heated and used for horses with sore or bad joints, including thoroughbreds.
Racing stable staff are always there and so,,,,you get chatting.