British Comedy Guide

Everyone Else Burns

Watched the two first episodes tonight - didn't laugh once.

Yup,truly abysmal...a laugh free zone.I wasn't expecting much given that Simon Bird and Lolly Adefope are in it but you have to have some empathy for the religious topic to make it work as a comedy.Just interminable parodying of religious extremists is not funny.Too bad Bird didn't flip the lens of the script to Orthodox Jews,now that is ripe for some parodying that we haven't seen before! Or well at least since the days of Mel Brooks.

Nothing I'm reading on this thread, or on other recently opened sitcom threads, makes me regret my previously declared resolution:

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 10th March 2022, 8:49 PM

Having suffered the agony of Fleabag, Mum and Hold The Sunset in recent years - to name but three - I have resolved to watch no more new sitcoms. Life's too short to waste time trying out new stuff when there's DVDs and repeats of Hancock's Half Hour, Bilko, Dad's Army, Are You Being Served and Hi-de-Hi to catch up on.

And yet the Graudian and Telegraph TV critics virtually rave about it - mind boggling

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 24th January 2023, 8:41 AM

Nothing I'm reading on this thread, or on other recently opened sitcom threads, makes me regret my previously declared resolution:

I completely agree Billy, I don't watch the new stuff either. Just the classic stuff for me. Such as Hanock, Are You Being Served, Last Of The Summer Wine, Keeping Up Apperances, Only Fools and Horses; to name but a few. You can't beat the golden oldies.

Well it follows the new casting/family dictates to a "T" and pokes fun at conservative Christians I mean what more does the humorless left need?
White man bad,white woman better,minority best and make everyone happy with carefree go lucky lifestyle to loosen up stiff whitey.

I mean it's as if these comedy writers are writing with an agenda that doesn't match reality which wouldn't be a bad thing per se but when you just yammer on about tired political tropes concerning the so-called "partriarchy"....Oh and the voice over narration in the show is soporific

Quote: tenbeersbold @ 24th January 2023, 11:44 AM

White man bad,

Before you go full culture war warrior on us, that does describe an awful lot of British sitcoms, from Fawlty Towers and Rising Damp through to I'm Alan Partridge and The Office.

Non sequitur aside..how does observing the current predominant intersectional narrative in TV comedy make one a "cultural warrior" if anything the war is coming from your side.
I'm just saying it's not funny and it's tiresome to see the same tropes over and over and not even scripted or acted well.

I really enjoyed it, particularly the female characters.

Well it follows the new casting/family dictates to a "T" and pokes fun at conservative Christians I mean what more does the humorless left need?
White man bad,white woman better,minority best and make everyone happy with carefree go lucky lifestyle to loosen up stiff whitey.

I mean it's as if these comedy writers are writing with an agenda that doesn't match reality which wouldn't be a bad thing per se but when you just yammer on about tired political tropes concerning the so-called "partriarchy"....Oh and the voice over narration in the show is soporific

It's not about Conservative Christians it's about cults like the Jehovah Witnesses. No doubt you'll say they're the same thing but they really aren't. The coercive control exerted by leaders of groups in cults like the JW's and the Scientologists is what EEB is about and it's incredibly well-observed.

Quote: Bonzo @ 24th January 2023, 7:32 PM

I really enjoyed it, particularly the female characters.

Me too. I've only watched one episode and I'm holding myself from watching them all in one go. I love the aesthetic as well.

Well, I loved it but I suppose that's because I'm a man-hating, bra-burning lefty (I'm not but that's how certain men take my desire for equality :) )
I loved the aesthetic, the writing, the dialogue, the 'just the right side of believability' of the characters, the fact that it's the women who start to see through the bullshit and the father's absolute belief that he's in the right all the time. I think it's extremely funny that his son doesn't even like him. I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of i.

Bless This House followed those lines and it was showing in 1971. Rising Damp also followed those lines and was shown in 1974....

Quote: JJlovescomedy @ 24th January 2023, 11:37 AM

I completely agree Billy, I don't watch the new stuff either. Just the classic stuff for me. Such as Hanock, Are You Being Served, Last Of The Summer Wine, Keeping Up Apperances, Only Fools and Horses; to name but a few. You can't beat the golden oldies.

You've finally gone off Two Doors Down, then..? 😉