British Comedy Guide

Not Going Out - Series 13 Page 8

Come on it jumped the shark years ago.Its been rubbish since tim vine left it.

Not in the slightest. Different, certainly, but still the most regularly laugh out loud funny comedy on television.

It's not hard to see why sky and netflix are killing the BBC , what with them being so desperate to keep reheating up this turkey every year.

It's nowhere near realistic but I love it.

Rather hit and miss, but the hits make it worthwhile, I'd say. Nice to have a contemporary sitcom which is very traditional in style, with gags, audience laughter and stuff (and that isn't f**ken Mrs Brown's Boys).

I liked Tim Vine, but Hugh Dennis is very good in a similar sort of role. As has been mentioned a few times in this thread, though, the unpleasant sniping between the spouses (mainly Toby and Anna) is sometimes uncomfortable to watch though, so hopefully the forthcoming series will ease up on that.

I watched a bit of the Jeremy Vine Show this morning, and funnily enough they did a phone in topic about modern sitcoms not being funny anymore or something, and he played a clip from Not Going Out (obviously Tim Vine is Jeremy's brother) as an example of a good modern sitcom.

YOU WATCHED JEREMY VINE!!!!!

Sorry about that, Chappers!

Another thing about Not Going Out is its lack of sentimentality. The audience likes the characters, but isn't particularly emotionally involved in their lives, and that's kind of a refreshing thing when many sitcoms, particularly when they've been going for a while, introduce bittersweet or tearjerking dramatic moments. The characters in Not Going Out are more a vehicle for gags.

Quote: a plate @ 25th May 2024, 9:23 PM

Sorry about that, Chappers!

Another thing about Not Going Out is its lack of sentimentality. The audience likes the characters, but isn't particularly emotionally involved in their lives, and that's kind of a refreshing thing when many sitcoms, particularly when they've been going for a while, introduce bittersweet or tearjerking dramatic moments. The characters in Not Going Out are more a vehicle for gags.

Exactly. Which is why it's so popular.