British Comedy Guide

The Goon Show

As they don't have a dedicated thread on here for it I thought I'd start one
I was too young to hear them at the time but my Dad used to listen to them, and I was aware of the influence they had on many comedians at the time including the Pythons whom I loved
I borrowed quite a few of their tapes from the library 30 years ago or so and did enjoy the shows very much but they were quite dated even then. ( What even is a NAAFI?)
It's probably the funniest Peter Sellers has ever been including Clouseau, what an amazing talent he was on the radio .
But of course it's all about Spike who wrote the majority of the shows and it's his humour all the way, and again he was a one off who inspired so many of the comedians that would follow.
I'm a bit jealous of my brother who actually met him when he went out with Spikes daughter for a while.
But that's by the by
One of Spikes great legacies radio wise was to show the amazing worlds you can create with sound and imagination.
Oh and credit also to Harry Seacombe for being the straight man in the madness, and Eric Sykes for helping to write some of it during the madness as well

A show that can't be underestimated for the love it engendered, the influence to comedy it gave.
Grytpipe Finn & Eccles were probably my favourite characters from what I remember

What's this one I started in 2019 then?

https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/thread/34848/

I searched for it but it didn't come up?

Maybe it had been archived
or the search function doesn't work

Ok I searched again and I found it
my mistake

apologies

delete this thread

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ 16th October 2022, 11:10 PM

Grytpipe Finn & Eccles were probably my favourite characters from what I remember

Of course. ? (Nearly right spelling)

I have loads and loads of The Goon Show on tapes, cassettes and CDs, and never tire of listening to them.

The only mystery to me, is why Aaron doesn't find them funny, but I did persuade him, after many years, to change the header photo to one without Bentine.

Bloodnok is my favourite.

"Bloodnok's army career is notable for cowardice and monetary irregularities. He was discharged after being found dressed as a woman, although he claimed it was carnival night."

Always made me laugh out loud when he came up against his sworn enemy The Red Bladder, voiced superbly by Ray Ellington, pf course

And his "attacks" of the bowel kind "It's Hell in there! No more curried eggs for me!" ?