British Comedy Guide

This Is Going To Hurt

I really enjoyed this. I read the book a while ago, and Whishaw I'd very well cast. Jet black humour and affecting drama.

Yes, I read the book a year or too back.
I spoke to Adam on Twitter saying I loved it and cried and laughed all in the same chapter.
He was very nice, replying several times.

Not since Spike Milligan's books have I had to put a book down while I laugh it off.

The series looks very promising.

Not read the book - though it looks like I might have to.
Tremendous first episode - fantastic balance of humour and pathos that really benefitted from the skills of a 'proper' actor.
Got the rest downloaded and expect to whizz through them pretty quick.

Well no spoilers then. In our house she says we watch them when broadcast.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 10th February 2022, 9:33 AM

Which is the way it should be - I simply do not understand anyone binge watching.

If there was decent stuff on every night, I might agree. We usually watch a couple of something (usually streamed, or recorded if it on a commercial channel) a night - if we've got a few series on the go we might pace ourselves, space them out a bit. There's just too much good stuff to get through!

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 10th February 2022, 10:39 AM

I simply do not understand anyone binge watching.

People with plenty of free time and who can't remember what happened from one week to the next ;-)

Quote: fasty @ 10th February 2022, 5:49 PM

People with plenty of free time

Hardly.
Lack of time is the main problem.

Quote: fasty @ 10th February 2022, 5:49 PM

People with plenty of free time and who can't remember what happened from one week to the next ;-)

Like budgies or goldfish, you mean.

I can spot a 60's pop tune after a couple of notes, but someone I met last week ..... sorry, you are? Several TV dramas queueing up on the Hymax waiting for all the episodes but in the meantime there's the South African cricket T20s on Freesport to pass the long retirement days :-)

Anyway, this had drifted off-topic (quelle surprise).
Series continues to be excellent, though.
Might even ration myself (old school!) as I don't particularly want it to end.

Sorry, not for me. Saw little humour and all rather traumatic. What's funny in seeing a woman die of preeclampsia?

Green Wing it certainly ain't, which is what I was expecting - now that was a very funny comedy set in a hospital.

Or going way back, the sadly short series of The Pink Medicine Show, which also was a good laugh.

Steve G particularly requested "no spoilers".

Yes. And Herc, it not a story, it's a true reflection of his time as a junior doctor in the nhs.
The highs, the lows, the tragedies and the laughs. And I promise you, if they've been true to the book - there are plenty of laughs.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 10th February 2022, 9:33 AM

Somebody said "Stephen G says no spoilers", but as the first episode was on 5 days BEFORE my post, I assumed you had watched it, given she who must be obeyed, and my one comment on one small part of the plot would be OK.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 13th February 2022, 12:36 PM

Yes. And Herc, it not a story, it's a true reflection of his time as a junior doctor in the nhs.

The highs, the lows, the tragedies and the laughs. And I promise you, if they've been true to the book - there are plenty of laughs.

Yes, I do know it is based on real life, but I got the impression it was meant to be funny a la "Green Wing"; BUT as it is you, heart, I'll activate my rule of 2 episodes before I make a final decision.

And if your mate is right that I have spoilt it for you, then I apologise. ?