British Comedy Guide

Vintage adverts Page 8

Leslie Henson was a musical hall comedian (even I had to look that up!!), and 2/- now is 10p - that's 10p for 60 quality cigarettes., it's no wonder nearly everyone you see in old B&W films have got a fag on. AND, DeReszke were one of the better brands.

1959............ £545 + £273 Tax

Beautiful looking car.

Yes, and although I'm a Ford man (my first car was the Mk1 Consul and my Marcos had a V6 Ford engine), I think Vauxhall had the edge on style at that time.
I saw this exact model (two tone pink/white Cresta) come round a corner at the top of the local taxi rank, and had an erection - bloody hell, what a fabulous looking car.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 10th February 2022, 8:58 AM

1959............ £545 + £273 Tax

That's some rate of tax.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 10th February 2022, 10:08 AM

That's some rate of tax.

Yes, and that's how it was in those days. Cars etc. had their own bands of tax, but retail was 25%, and I remember, when I was in retail charging that, until they abolished it and brought in VAT, which was a bit fairer.

Also, seem to remember rich people paid 19/6d in the £1 income tax - that's 97½p in the pound. OUCH!

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 10th February 2022, 10:35 AM

Also, seem to remember rich people paid 19/6d in the £1 income tax - that's 97½p in the pound. OUCH!

Yes, hence the Beatles' Taxman and The Kinks' Sunny Afternoon.

1890 !!

Not a very convincing 'photo' though.

1953 Noticed the post was about c. ½p (1½d - no 1st or 2nd then) - and what's the letter rate now? 85p That's c.170% increase!

There you go, if you ever wondered what Patricia Routledge was on about with her wonderful Kitty. Check it out at about 20 secs.

(Doesn't work for some reason, so f**k it - here's the whole link)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wisQQueMPxM&t=76s

1953 Odd amount of 15 fags for 10p

The pedophiles cigarette of choice .

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 15th February 2022, 8:56 AM

Not every day you see a product named after the only people in the country not allowed to buy it. :O

(Love the thread btw)