British Comedy Guide

Nurse On Wheels (1963)

What would now be called a Romcom, and I disagree with some of the reviewers on the IMDb that it is a "Carry On" of sorts, as this didn't have the classic silly set ups of that beloved genre and its only connection was Gerald Thomas via it being a Peter Rogers Production with some of the actors................OK, I'm splitting hairs, but it was NO Carry On.

What I did notice was the poor editing!! At least two scenes were cut into the wrong place and made a farce of the story line, which suggests to me they knew this but couldn't be arsed to do anything about it when they lost interest in the whole shebang.

The nurse in question is the pretty Juliet Mills as a new District Nurse in a village of close knit nutcases and gossips, where she moves to with her nutty mother played by Esma Cannon.

Much hilarity ensues (not) helped by various eccentric characters played by the likes of Joan Sims, Raymond Huntley, Norman Rossington, Joan Hickson, Renee Houston, Jim Dale, George Woodbridge and all too briefly Deryck Guyler as a driving examiner who did have one very funny skit when he was taking the nurse's driving test - so I did get one good laugh out of it.............actually a VERY good laugh as I'm chuckling now at the thought of it.

Give it a whirl if you have a Sunday afternoon with nothing better to do.

Written by Hudis, directed by Gerald, produced by Peter and with a very Carry On cast - it is quite Carry On in my view, but of the very early films, not the bawdier, more popular middle period.

Great cast and pedigree as noted, but eh. A couple of set pieces aside it's just not very funny. Huge shame as it's such a charming setting. I'd love it to be more watchable.

I don't recall noticing anything edited out of sequence though. Were you watching on TV or DVD?

Quote: Aaron @ 15th August 2020, 10:39 AM

Written by Hudis, directed by Gerald, produced by Peter and with a very Carry On cast - it is quite Carry On in my view, but of the very early films, not the bawdier, more popular middle period.

Great cast and pedigree as noted, but eh. A couple of set pieces aside it's just not very funny. Huge shame as it's such a charming setting. I'd love it to be more watchable.

I don't recall noticing anything edited out of sequence though. Were you watching on TV or DVD?

TV on TPTV, and someone on the IMDb also noticed the bad editing - I presume they were not watching the same source.
And I quote too:-

"However, on every DVD and TV showing I've seen, the reels seem to have been assembled in the wrong order and the plot strand concerning Joan Sims applying for a job seems back-to-front!"

There was also a minor error involving Juliet Mills.

And Hey! Aaron agrees with me in it not being that funny! :D

I may have to get my DVD out!

Gorgeous poster though, isn't it?

Yes nice, but naughty advertisers, as I don't remember any flashing of stocking tops and frilly red knickers.