British Comedy Guide

British Comedy Quiz Page 84

A tough new quiz today!
Just 3 out of 10 for me, but 4 out of 5 on the bonus ones.
Good questions though!

Yes, fun but really tough. Three out of ten and they were all lucky guesses, while the ones I thought I knew I got wrong.
Interesting to see a Douglas Adams question. I'm rereading The Restaurant At The End Of The Universe and I love the way it's 'freely adapted...'

7/10 & 4/5, my kind of quiz, lots of good old comedy and not so many panel show Qs. Enjoyable quiz.

5/10. As you might expect I got the Kenneth Williams, the Dad's Army & the Are You Being Served ones correct (all the subjects being amongst my "likes" on my account page). Plus numbers 2 & 10.

Disaster - too fiendish for me as some of them I'd never heard of or ever watched! (Yes Minister and 2 Pints for example)

1/10 and 3/5 (which I always thought were meant to be the harder questions)

Naturally got the Dad's Army one, which I thought was the easiest question I have ever seen on these quizzes and got 11 and 12 because they were clearly linked! That is, changed my answer to 11 after seeing what 12 was - it being a strong "hint".

That felt very fiendish, but I managed 7/10 and 4/5 and they definitely weren't all guesses. Slightly kicking myself for never having thought up Q11 myself though.

Clearly we are of a different generation! And it makes my realise how ancient I am 😆

Oh Herc. Go away and only come back when you've discovered the brilliance of Yes Minister - equally clever and silly, just as Dad's Army is! I'd be very surprised if you don't enjoy it.

Quote: Aaron @ 28th August 2024, 12:04 PM

Oh Herc. Go away and only come back when you've discovered the brilliance of Yes Minister - equally clever and silly, just as Dad's Army is! I'd be very surprised if you don't enjoy it.

Seconded - I would have thought Yes Minister (and Yes Prime Minister) to be right up your street Herc. Might look a bit dated now compared to the political scene in the 21st century but that doesn't dull the humour and wit therein. Though if you're looking for clips on YouTube skip the time Margaret Thatcher insisted on joining in because you'll never get your toes uncurled afterwards.

Yes. Given that Hercules' encyclopedic knowledge of comedy makes me look Spice ignorant, I was surprised to read he hadn't even seen Yes Minister, let alone delved into it, when -a- it's so famous and -b- it sounds like just his style.

Oh, my gawd, they're ganging up on me.

Look, I've seen odd clips and was never that impressed

I find politicians tragic, not funny and am also not a fan of Nigel Hawthorne, and Derek Fowlds should go back to being a children's TV presenter.

If I'm missing out on the funniest thing to ever hit the screen, then so be it.

As good as Dad's Army? I very much doubt that either

I wasn't ganging up or anything. I was just surprised that an authority of your calibre was missing such a well-known show.

3/10 for me, but reassuring to know that quite a few of us found it really tough this week.
The only one I knew for sure was, like Herc, the Dad's Army one, although I usually struggle with Dad's Army questions, I'm familiar enough with it to know the catchphrases.

Correct: 2, 5, 7.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 28th August 2024, 4:15 PM

I've seen odd clips and was never that impressed

To be fair it was a very slow burn on me, I think I was too young to appreciate it when it first came out but my family loved it because it was a bit more 'grown-up' than so many TV sitcoms of the time were. But to twelve-year-old me it was a load of old men in suits and I would rather have watched The Young Ones at the time. Now I'd happily watch either.

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 28th August 2024, 4:59 PM

I was just surprised that an authority of your calibre .................

Aww, now I'm blushing