British Comedy Guide

British Comedy Quiz Page 54

A few guesses in there for me but it worked out well - 9/10 and 3/5. Thanks Herc, interesting mix there!

Got 1-5, 7-12 & 14 correct. Knew No.7 because I had drafted a similar question myself 😉

Hello folks, great quiz Herc!

I scored 9 out of 10 on the regular questions.

I correctly answered: Q1, Q2, Q3, Q4, Q5, Q7, Q8, Q9, Q10.

I incorrectly answered: Q6 although I'm a fan of all in that question I simply didnt know the answer.

See you all next week.

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 6th September 2023, 9:08 AM

5/15. One lucky guess and one (the Goodies) I thought I knew but actually got wrong.

I thought that was an easy one!

Quote: Niki Walton @ 6th September 2023, 10:37 AM

A few guesses in there for me but it worked out well - 9/10 and 3/5. Thanks Herc, interesting mix there!

Got 1-5, 7-12 & 14 correct. Knew No.7 because I had drafted a similar question myself 😉

You did very well, and you need to be quick! 😁 And yes, you need to be an oldie like me to remember the Norman Wisdom one (not played on radio a lot now) and old knowledge of stand-ups with a gimmick - Ted Ray etc. (I'm a big fan of his)

Quote: JJlovescomedy @ 6th September 2023, 1:31 PM

Hello folks, great quiz Herc!

I scored 9 out of 10 on the regular questions.

I correctly answered: Q1, Q2, Q3, Q4, Q5, Q7, Q8, Q9, Q10.

I incorrectly answered: Q6 although I'm a fan of all in that question I simply didnt know the answer.

See you all next week.

You did very well! You need now to look up the Norman Wisdom one on YT as it is imo very funny.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 6th September 2023, 8:44 AM

Well done 🙂 There was one that would have tested your early comedy knowledge but Mark had moved it to No. 15. I'll tell you later after the dust has settled on this quiz if you like, and anyone else like to know what the other 5 were?

Yes, that'll be interesting. Thanks.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 6th September 2023, 8:18 AM

Well, done! Yes, the pub features a lot, but unless you're paying attention it's not the sort of thing that sinks in. For example, do you remember the name of the original sloppy, fat landlord, OR the name of the landlord who took the pub over, played by John Thomson? 😁

Fairly sure the original landlord was called Les, but I can't remember the name of John Thomson's one...

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 6th September 2023, 9:08 AM

5/15. One lucky guess and one (the Goodies) I thought I knew but actually got wrong.

I'm not massively familiar with The Goodies but that particular scene is classic.. but I understand people misremembering the building, I had to think for a moment.

Quote: a plate @ 6th September 2023, 9:03 PM

Fairly sure the original landlord was called Les, but I can't remember the name of John Thomson's one...

Correct and Ken - I may well use them in a (much later) quiz, so keep them both in mind 😁

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 6th September 2023, 4:58 PM

Yes, that'll be interesting. Thanks.

Here you go Billy, and No. 15 is the one that is "our" period...............

11. Who was the star of the sitcom Oh Brother!?
Leslie Phillips
Derek Nimmo
Lionel Jeffries
Jim Dale
Kenneth Williams

12. What was the name of Bernard Manning's nightclub?
Batley Variety Club
Northern Counties Club
Embassy Club Leisure Bar
The Top Hat
Pink Flamingo

13. In the Harry & Paul TV series, what were the characters Sheridan and Charles?
Boutique hairdressers
Up market retailers
Landscape gardeners
Surgeons
Florists to the nobility

14. In Father Ted episode The Mainland, Dougal and Ted find themselves outside a famous network of caves - who do they upset, resulting in Ted getting beaten up?
Graham Norton
Chris Eubank
Simon Pegg
Richard Ayoade
Richard Wilson

15. What connects the comedians Jimmy Wheeler, Ted Ray and Vic Oliver?
They all wore a straw boater
They all played a violin as part of their act
They all had a stooge come on
They all wore a large carnation in their lapel
They all played the harmonica

Thanks for that. Think I've got all but the the Harry and Paul one. I can't get Julian & Sandy out of my mind for that one!

I won't post my answers here (yet) in case anyone else intends to have a go. There used to be a way on here to hide words in your post so they could only be read if someone specifically revealed them. Don't know how that was done or, indeed, whether that's still possible.

Don't know that facility

A Fawlty Towers quiz! By Alfred J Kipper. Thought I'd ace this as I've seen the episodes a zillion times over the years, but a few of these were very hard. Funny how some minor details I remembered (like the book Basil was reading in a brief scene) and some I didn't have a clue. Still, in the words of Roger, "great fun"!

Anyway, just a 6/10 for me. Correct answers were: 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 10.

BTW, from Herc's additional 5 questions from last week, I know 11, 13 and 14, so not too bad. Like Billy, I won't post my answers in case others want to have a go.

Quote: a plate @ 13th September 2023, 2:04 AM

BTW, from Herc's additional 5 questions from last week, I know 11, 13 and 14, so not too bad. Like Billy, I won't post my answers in case others want to have a go.

Thank you, and I think the dust is settled on that one now - so, when you are ready. 😊

8/10 on the Fawlty Towers quiz.

I didn't get numbers 8 or 10. And number 9 was a guess. I'd been doing so well for the first seven questions. Then it all went a bit haywire.

I'll post my answers to last week's additional questions tomorrow to give anyone who only looks in on this thread on Wednesday a chance to have a go.

5/10 and 1/5 - there were some tough ones there, and I'm not sure about questions that refer to actors appearing in other sitcoms (9 and 14), otherwise a very good quiz.

Mind you, Question 1 was a bit bleedin' obvious, given the choices! I knew the answer anyway, which stood out like a sore thumb!

6/15, which is beyond total and utter f**king shit, given it's pretty much the only show I'd put up there with The Young Ones! Kicking myself (not literally) for not remembering the name of the restaurant in Goremet Night, as that's a personal favourite.

7/10 and 2/5, not as high as I would have hoped, caught out by some good fiendish questions there.

Got 1-5, 7, 10, 13-14 correct. Well done Alfred J Kipper, great variety of questions.