British Comedy Guide

The all in one consolidated RIP thread Page 120

Donald Sutherland RIP

Quote: lofthouse @ 20th June 2024, 8:27 PM

Donald Sutherland RIP

Shit...................Rest in Peace, sir.

Great actor in countless great movies. And nobody could point and scream as terrifyingly as him (Invasion of the Bodysnatchers).

Quote: chipolata @ 21st June 2024, 2:53 PM

Great actor in countless great movies. And nobody could point and scream as terrifyingly as him (Invasion of the Bodysnatchers).

That's the only thing I remember him in.

Quote: Chappers @ 21st June 2024, 6:16 PM

That's the only thing I remember him in.

He was in M*A*S*H. I know that.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 21st June 2024, 6:39 PM

He was in M*A*S*H. I know that.

I'm not sure I've ever seen the film but I loved the sitcom.

Donald Sutherland was definitely great in Invasion of the Body Snatchers, and also put in a strong performance in another very creepy 70s film some of you may remember called Don't Look Now, an atmospheric psychological horror set mainly in Venice.

Don't Look Now also included an infamous sex scene between Sutherland and Julie Christie that was so graphic (for the time) and convincing, that for years many people thought they were doing more than just acting, though Sutherland insisted it was all simulated when asked!

He was in JFK

For about 30 seconds...

Quote: lofthouse @ 21st June 2024, 9:26 PM

He was in JFK

For about 30 seconds...

Is that all it took him?

Quote: chipolata @ 21st June 2024, 2:53 PM

A great actor!
Agreed - brilliantly scary at the end of Bodysnatchers. One of the best movie endings ever. I hadn't been scared until then - literally the final shot. Broke me.
Also great in JFK (a small part admittedly, although longer than five minutes!)
Oddball in Kelly's Heroes! Dirty Dozen. National Lampoon's Animal House.
Hunger Games more recently.
Don't Look Now and MASH, as mentioned.
He played the creator of Itchy and Scratchy in The Simpsons. His character spent his fortune on the one simple thing he'd always wanted: "a house made if gold."
Had 200 screen credits so inevitably not everything was good. Occasionally played dodgy Irish men e.g. in the otherwise great Eagle has Landed.
But overall: an amazing career.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 2nd June 2024, 10:58 PM

"Rugby league legend Rob Burrow dies aged 41"

Rest In Peace - what a tragic story of how a perfectly fit man can deteriorate over such a relatively short period.

I never follow rugby, but seeing him at his peak when he was playing and how he finished up is heart breaking.

Buried today on the 7th day of the 7th month............RIP

It was a tear-jerking do watching everyone lining the streets to pay their last respects.

Actress Shelley Duvall.

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 12th July 2024, 1:45 PM

Actress Shelley Duvall.

Yes. Great in The Shining.
Kubrick made her do one take between 127 and 143 times.

Legend.