British Comedy Guide

What are you reading right now? Page 83

Swan Peak - James Lee Burke

Pepys-Richard Ollard

I've just read the second instalment in the Twightlight series. New Moon. AMAZING. I'm hooked (I read it in a day).

Quote: EllieJP @ September 27 2009, 4:26 PM BST

I've just read the second instalment in the Twightlight series. New Moon. AMAZING. I'm hooked (I read it in a day).

I try to read books that my students are reading so I have a basis to talk to them about reading. I've read some pretty bad stories in the past but nothing compared to the atrocious writing found in the Twilight books. Incredibly misogynistic and terribly written.
I don't know if I've ever got a headache from the writing style of any author but this one did. She would use the SAME expression over and over again. "He was so beautiful he looked like a runway model", "She moved like she was a runway model", "they looked different like runway models". I'm not exaggerating either I think she used "like a runway model" at least 5 times each chapter and at some points in the story page after page. >_<

Quote: Curt @ September 27 2009, 4:33 PM BST

I try to read books that my students are reading so I have a basis to talk to them about reading. I've read some pretty bad stories in the past but nothing compared to the atrocious writing found in the Twilight books. Incredibly misogynistic and terribly written.
I don't know if I've ever got a headache from the writing style of any author but this one did. She would use the SAME expression over and over again. "He was so beautiful he looked like a runway model", "She moved like she was a runway model", "they looked different like runway models". I'm not exaggerating either I think she used "like a runway model" at least 5 times each chapter and at some points in the story page after page. >_<

Ha, I do agree. But as a female looking for her one, true love, she appeals in ways further than "good" writing I guess.

Quote: EllieJP @ September 27 2009, 5:02 PM BST

Ha, I do agree. But as a female looking for her one, true love, she appeals in ways further than "good" writing I guess.

Laughing out loud I appreciate your honesty. I told that to one of my wife's friends after she asked me what I thought of the books and she got pretty angry at my critique. I understand why women like it, its the same reason they read Harlequin novels (don't know if you get those in the UK).

It's not a book for people looking for excellent writing. Just an easy read.

Quote: Curt @ September 27 2009, 5:12 PM BST

Laughing out loud I appreciate your honesty. I told that to one of my wife's friends after she asked me what I thought of the books and she got pretty angry at my critique. I understand why women like it, its the same reason they read Harlequin novels (don't know if you get those in the UK).

Yep, they're called Mills and Boon novels here. :)

My gran loves a good "nighty burner" and now she has me hooked on them too. :(

Quote: zooo @ September 27 2009, 7:08 PM BST

Yep, they're called Mills and Boon novels here. :)

My Mum has flipping loads of them!

My sister does too! They are quite fun.

Jumble sale stores used to be 90% made up of them.

My grandmother had an entire closet in her home dedicated to them. It was packed to the brim with covers of open shirted men with great hair and horses holding half clad women.

Quote: Curt @ September 27 2009, 7:25 PM BST

My grandmother had an entire closet in her home dedicated to them. It was packed to the brim with covers of open shirted men with great hair and horses holding half clad women.

Bet it was easier on the eye than what was in Grandad's.

Quote: Curt @ September 27 2009, 7:25 PM BST

Did she make you read them?

Read them whilst ballancing a book on your head and wearing a petticoat?

Or is that only in my dreams?