British Comedy Guide

What are you reading right now? Page 75

Ha! That's the one. I've seen the film and still got it wrong.

Am now reading

Which is really very boring, but must be read. Bleh.

Quote: zooo @ July 28 2009, 5:22 PM BST

Which is really very boring, but must be read. Bleh.

Is it one of those misery memoirs?

YES.

I think it may have been one of the first, trend-setting ones.

Bloody things.

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ July 28 2009, 5:17 PM BST

Brighton Rock?

What's the one set in Africa? I enjoyed that many years ago.

Well done for spotting my deliberate Brighton Beach/Rock error that zooo ran with! :$

As for Greene set in Africa, he set quite a few there, didn't he? It was one of his things, along with whisky priests and Catholic guilt.

David Boring is a great book. At least I seem to remember it was - I can't recall a thing about it now. I find that with a lot of Clowes work though - fantastic but ephemeral.

Quote: chipolata @ July 28 2009, 5:27 PM BST

Well done for spotting my deliberate Brighton Beach/Rock error that zooo ran with! :$

As for Greene set in Africa, he set quite a few there, didn't he? It was one of his things, along with whisky priests and Catholic guilt.

The Heart of the Matter was the one I was thinking of. I think I kept my school copy so it's due a re-read.

Quote: chipolata @ July 28 2009, 5:27 PM BST

Ayres Rock is in Autralia but I don't think there is any poetry in it.

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Yes, I'm so behind the time I have not even read it yet.

Next up: Catch 22 by Joseph Heller.

I Am Reading Ronnie Wood's Autobiography.

Have given up for now on my last book.

Will try this one.

Quote: zooo @ July 29 2009, 5:30 PM BST

Have given up for now on my last book.

Quitter.

It was so f**king dull.
I persevered for half the book.

Possibly the most dreary, boring, self absorbed bunch of boring stuffy shit I have ever read.

Quote: zooo @ July 29 2009, 5:34 PM BST

Possibly the most dreary, boring, self absorbed bunch of boring stuffy shit I have ever read.

Yeah, we all think that about these message boards, missy. But every day we still read the shitty little posts, and add our own dreary bilge to the pile.

Mona Simpson - Off Keck Road. I was intrigued by the title, and the ten pence Oxfam price tag.

Ooh, quite clever cover.