British Comedy Guide

What are you reading right now? Page 124

Adverbs by Daniel Handler, the same guy who wrote the Lemony Snicket books. He's very, very funny.

I'd really like to read that in summer. Might order it after essay deadline.

Just came to the end of an "autobiography phase". Liked Alan Carr's and Paul O'Grady's (first one) the best. Oh loved Chris Evans' too (the first one).

Catching Fire - Suzanne Collins

Now reading Dracula by Bram Stoker - kind of regretting it when my partner wakes me up with his snoring and I have to make my way in the dark to sleep in the spare room...on my own...

I got so scared by Dracula when I first read it, but it is really so gripping imho.

Lots of cookbooks. I've got to come up with a kick-ass chocolate cake that will put my mother-in-law's sawdust-dry chocolate cake to shame.

Quote: AfternoonTea @ March 8 2011, 1:37 AM BST

Goggle Eyes by Anne Fine ----- it's chuffing brilliant!

I recall enjoying the TV adaptation with Alun Armstrong and a very young Honeysuckle Weeks.

I picked up The Kraken Wakes by John Wyndham at the library yesterday. Looking forward to it.

Quote: Ben @ April 3 2011, 11:01 AM BST

I picked up The Kraken Wakes by John Wyndham at the library yesterday. Looking forward to it.

I love John Wyndham and his catastrophe novels. John Christopher is great too. And JG Ballard. England has produced a lot of great literary world-enders.

You're going appocalypse crazy, Ben, what with this and Testament.

I just pre-ordered Tina Fey's book. The cover is kind of awful.

Quote: chipolata @ April 3 2011, 11:33 AM BST

I love John Wyndham and his catastrophe novels.

I'm a fan too. Day of The Triffids is probably my favourite catastrophe novel. I rather enjoyed The Chrysalids too.

Quote: Ben @ April 3 2011, 3:09 PM BST

I'm a fan too. Day of The Triffids is probably my favourite catastrophe novel. I rather enjoyed The Chrysalids too.

Have you tried The Death of Grass or War Day?

Probably my favourite post appocalyptic dystopias

I was reading about The Death of Grass the other day. Must put that on the list of 'Books to Read' I carry around in my head with various other lists I won't go into on here.

Quote: Griff @ April 3 2011, 3:21 PM BST

I remember reading Lucifer's Hammer when I was a teen and it being quite exciting.
(It's a meteor-strikes-the-Earth apocalypse novel).

Weren't 'talkies' considered quite exciting as well then?