British Comedy Guide

Goodies DVDs

(I couldn't find a thread devoted so I took the risk and started one)

Seriously... between the 40 and growing classic Doctor Who collection, and the complete Monkey, I've almost completely finished my task of making the world dissapear and loosing myself in a DVD wonderland of 6pm weeknights of my childhood.

However, the BBC (the same people who don't want me to complete my Fast Show set) are really holding out on this whole Goodies thing. LWT have realeased their complete series. But the BBC are really holding out on us. I've serached high and low and even contacted the BBC via email who put me through to different sections and so on until i just gave up in disgust.

Has anyone heard anything about any plans for a complete season by season realease? I refuse to buy the best ofs as they're just a tease. Or am I going to have to resort to downlaoding them or something?

My boss just made a reference to the goodies and it felt like a javelin in my lung, it pains me that much.

it makes me very Teary and ever so Pirate

Auntie Beeb has a very, very long memory. They've only just managed to bring themselves to show a documentary about the show, and a reunion programme. Series' 1-8 releases will happen, but it's just a question of when. You might still have to wait a while.

I'm not sure if they still do, but your UK TV channel certainly has shown all of the episodes. Unless you can find someone with all the shows (Angelic), your best bet is probably to keep an eye on the listings for that channel I'm afraid.

Some series are hard to see, as they are never repeated (perhaps it really is true that the Goodies got into the BBC's black books by leaving for ITV) and only come out in fits & starts on vhs/dvd. Have any channels available to UK viewers ever shown them since their original broadcast?

Paramount Comedy 2 have this year shown series 9, the LWT series, but otherwise no. Just the odd clip-show type scene here and there.

Quote: Bad dog @ September 23 2007, 9:50 AM GMT

perhaps it really is true that the Goodies got into the BBC's black books by leaving for ITV

According to the Goodies themselves, they didn't simply decide to quit and go to ITV, but rather the BBC cancelled The Goodies (or put the show on indefinite hiatus) in order to fund the costly special effects of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, so the trio approached LWT about taking over their show. LWT agreed, gave them a pay rise, then axed the show after a season. After that, the BBC decided not to repeat the programme.

As for the DVD releases, the Goodies were annoyed by the BBC not releasing the show, so in 2003 they reportedly acquired the rights from the BBC. So far Network has released 16 of what the trio consider to be the "best" episodes. The complete LWT series has also been released. Thus only 23 of the more than 70 Goodies episodes have been officially released. Some episodes - such as the special The Goodies Rule OK - are said to be too costly to release because of the issue of music clearances. In The Goodies Rule OK, there are a few Beatles songs at the start and the rights apparently cannot be secured from Michael Jackson.

So how to get all the episodes? Wait patiently for an official release? Got to torrents and slowly download? Pay about £120 (plus another £30 for shipping if you're in Australia) for the complete BBC series on pirated DVD sets of dodgy video transfers? Or join one of the Goodies fan sites, frequent the forums, hide your true personality (gruff misanthrope with a ridiculous whim to re-live childhood TV joys) and sneakily try to endear yourself to someone who has already the set of pirated discs and get them to make you some copies.

The downloads are OK but the quality isn't all that. I'd love to have proper released DVDs available.

Quote: Kenneth @ March 17 2009, 1:09 PM GMT

Some episodes - such as the special The Goodies Rule OK - are said to be too costly to release because of the issue of music clearances. In The Goodies Rule OK, there are a few Beatles songs at the start and the rights apparently cannot be secured from Michael Jackson.

I can't comment on the specific Beatles case (although it sounds unlikely), but a lot of work has been done in the past few years on music rights. It's not really any different now than organising royalties for the writers and performers.

Pay about £120 (plus another £30 for shipping if you're in Australia)

If you're talking about UKRarities, then IIRC they are IN Australia.

Or join one of the Goodies fan sites, frequent the forums, hide your true personality (gruff misanthrope with a ridiculous whim to re-live childhood TV joys) and sneakily try to endear yourself to someone who has already the set of pirated discs and get them to make you some copies.

Well you're already half way there. If you catch my drift. :)

Quote: Aaron @ March 17 2009, 5:08 PM GMT

If you're talking about UKRarities, then IIRC they are IN Australia.

When I filled out their automated online order form, the invoice section marked 'Shipping Method' stated something like: "Shipping is currently the only method available to use on this order." And it put the shipping cost - for 10 items - at £30. A bit steep if they are based in Australia. I sent them an email to ask where they are located, and where they'd be shipping from, but I'm yet to receive a reply. I say "they" but it's probably a one-person outfit.

Well, I suppose it's possible they may have moved ... but when I got a few things from them a couple of years ago, it arrived from Australia. £30 is indeed steep - but given that they're not even legal, the DVD unit prices set the precedent.

Forget UK Rarities (severe rip-off) and time-consuming torrents. Finally I got me a perfect set of the complete Goodies! (the main reason I joined this site).

I've settled for downloading a few seasons of poor quality VHS rips, to tide me over until someone at DVD scheduling gets on to it.

Quote: Kenneth @ March 17 2009, 2:09 PM BST

In The Goodies Rule OK, there are a few Beatles songs at the start and the rights apparently cannot be secured from Michael Jackson.

Alright then, problem fixed.

Laughing out loud

Now tell me who's responsible for the complete Kenny Everett not being out on DVD.

The DVD distributors.

Or more likely BBC Worldwide, for not asking a realistic price.